Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not a big fan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
you do realize the skull completely absorbs all the focus in the tank and it screams "bad ass"

for this kind of setup I might have tried to go for piranhas (if legal) or bad ass oscars.

Still. awesome setup. I likes.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
lol thanks. i bought the skull at walmart one day and i cant seem to take it out. i have other ornaments that ive taken out. i like natural with a splash of decorations. that is why the castle and other pieces. The pieces of driftwood are real though. i love how i got the anarchis on the background of the skull and micro sword in front. i cant wait till the microsword starts to carpet out. it will complete the tank when that happens. at one time i wanted to do an aggressive setup, but after the 2 1/2 years setup and all the fish ive done (mainly a lot of semi to aggressive tropical freshwater), im extremely happy with tons of peaceful fish. my goal was to do lots of small colorful fish that school and dont kill my plants and ive accomplished that. my tank is very active.

beautiful killis you have. how hard are they to keep? ive read about them but everything ive read seem like they could be sensitive.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
@tropical crazy,

I was not prepared to keep killifish , It was impulse buy and i didnt hatch the eggs for 2 months, then i tried my luck instead of throwing out, suddenly in 2 months I was caring for extremely sensitive 24 killifish.

I have sold half of them and now i have some 14 killfish, they are EXTREMELY sensitive, they have v v v sharp eyes, they will keep looking at you to check your movements and then try to jump out. That's why i have planted the tank moderately now and hope the grass and wisteria spread out in a month.

I had to make ninja movements in my own room for a month till the tank got plants. the tank looks v v different now. But it's a Gorgeous tank.

And ya, do some bad ass cichlid tank in future.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
@tropical crazy,

I was not prepared to keep killifish , It was impulse buy and i didnt hatch the eggs for 2 months, then i tried my luck instead of throwing out, suddenly in 2 months I was caring for extremely sensitive 24 killifish.

I have sold half of them and now i have some 14 killfish, they are EXTREMELY sensitive, they have v v v sharp eyes, they will keep looking at you to check your movements and then try to jump out. That's why i have planted the tank moderately now and hope the grass and wisteria spread out in a month.

I had to make ninja movements in my own room for a month till the tank got plants. the tank looks v v different now. But it's a Gorgeous tank.

And ya, do some bad ass cichlid tank in future.
right on. well you must have the touch with them because they are still alive.

ninja movements, im sorry but LMFAO, thats great. i didnt know they had that much of a personality. maybe in the future i may do a 30g with some of them in there.

when i decide to do a cichlid tank, it will probably be african and from lake mbuna or malawi and i will do more of a natural environment with lots of rocks, driftwood, and plants. if i do any decorations it will be very minimal. i also would do either a 100g plus or take my 55g and convert it and move a larger peaceful community in a much larger tank. ive had my eye on this 200g but i just need to come up with the money. if i got that then the 200g would be a HUGE schooling tank with lots of different schools and the 55g would go cichlid. eventually i would like to have 3 tanks total, 200g plus peaceful schooling, 100g plus cichlid, and my 55g as a qt tank and plant growing tank.
thats the plan at least but over the last 2 1/2 years this tank has consumed A LOT of my money. ive probably dumped, between being inexperienced and changing my mind over that time with what i want to do, $3-4,000. so it is a very expensive hobby and doing larger tanks i could only imagine what i would dump in them. over the last year and a half ive been buying smart and doing my research

my income at my job has changed and increased so things may happen a little sooner than i think. plus im going to have to convince my fiance to get the 200g and everything it comes with but i think i may get my way ;)

Last edited:

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
right on. well you must have the touch with them because they are still alive.

ninja movements, im sorry but LMFAO, thats great. i didnt know they had that much of a personality. maybe in the future i may do a 30g with some of them in there.
well usually, I am always joking, But i kid you not, When the tank was sparsely planted and plenty of killies in it, I was absolutely not able to move in normal speed, I had to mime my way with back to tank in my room (seriousslly) and When changing pants one day, I noticed my swift leg movements made some killies so nervous that they started jumping on surface but were dashing on glass instead of falling out, so from then, i had to change my pants, Ninja style (i am seriously not kidding here, it was pain).

But now there are lots of broad hair grass , the wisteria is growing little, the cabomba is towering and there is huge island of bright green Riccia patch floating on surface which has really calmed down the killies. I no longer hav to be super-ninja.

And is there something that everyone knows about killies and i don't? everyone on forum keeps telling me, "oh my , the killies are nice but good luck as you keep them" its like they know this killies die quickly in tanks ( i know they are annuals and at max i will get 14-16 months life-span from them) still.

well i am trying my best to keep killies in good shape ( the females are bulging as they keep snatching food from males ) the killies literally gather around corner in morning when i wake up. so its good ...so far.

my income at my job has changed and increased so things may happen a little sooner than i think. plus im going to have to convince my fiance to get the 200g and everything it comes with but i think i may get my way ;)
Good plans man. I think you have lots of ideas crammed in your head and you can't wait to setup tanks. Emmanuel has the most wonderful schooling tank i have seen. you may know his thread. so good luck with all, and regarding "convincing your fiance" ...there is app for that :D (well .... okay, there isn't .. ;) ).

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i agree. i found a local guy that has a bunch of plants going to sell me for a couple bucks. they include Asian Marshweed and Sunset Hygrophillia, Red Temple, Rotala Indica and Red Ludwigia. hes not using any co2 and has great growth so i think ill try a few. i will probably get rid of the castle at that point to allow more room for plants

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
i just started dosing with seachem iron now so we are gonna see if i cant get a lot better growth within the next couple weeks. also im going to go pick some prime up here in a minute. in 2 weeks im going to be dropping A TON more plants in there from a local grower.

anyways the castle is now gone and i love how it opened up the tank more