New home has neglected pond-- where to start??

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
We finally found a rental home yesterday, yay!! And it has a pond across the back of the house. I don't know where to start!! It has a pump, at least I've located that. The realtor said the water was circulating when she was out there some time back. Once I figure out how (or, if) I can get the pump up and running, it's still an algae-ridden mess. There are supposed to have been fish in it, but I see no signs of them now. What else should I be looking for?

I don't know what to do first! Seriously.

Of course I have no idea of the volume; I was planning on emptying it with my python and refilling it by pythoning into my six-gallon buckets and dumping them in, counting how many buckets it takes to fill it to determine the volume.

It's gross, but doesn't stink at least. There's a waterfall too. I'm so excited.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, pics would help. First, figure out what all it has...

Is it a liner or preform? What kind of pump is it? What kind of filtration? how deep? etc...

First thing to do would be drain & clean... then once you know what is or isn't in there, you can go from there.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
It's about twenty or so feet long, width varies from two to four feet, depth from eighteen inches to maybe two and a half feet, very irregularly shaped. I've no idea how many gallons it might be.

It has a liner. I found the pump and pulled it up, it's covered in algae, and I didn't clean it off and look for info on it yet, but it seems small to me. I haven't found anything that could pass for filtration yet, though. I'm still trying to figure out how the lines are run and how to turn on power to the pump... unless it's burnt up for some reason. The water is murky and you can't see down into it. We only just rented the place this morning, and we're having to have all our stuff out of the old place by Wednesday, and we have a lot of stuff, so I've barely had time yet to poke around the pond.

On the bright side, at twilight we did see two goldies come up for a nice bug dinner. One's about four inches, and the other seems considerably bigger, but we couldn't tell for sure. There are some little wigglers in the water (maybe a quarter to a half inch long), but whether they're fry or tadpoles or something else, who knows. Gotta clean that pond up to know for sure about anything, I guess.

I'm gonna get some pics tomorrow after work. :)

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
ooh that is so exciting!! i would love to have a pond. gotta love those goldies that can survive in some pretty harsh conditions. ;) i can't wait to see some pics and find out more.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
I just noticed your location.
Your ponds conditions should not be that different from what I have here on the other side of the mountains.

Once you are further along, and you want them, I have about a dozen species of pond plants I can ship you for the cost of shipping.

Including 4-5 colors of lily.

Dino Claus

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Check the waterfall, most of the filtration units (DIY or commercial) are right there.

I'd suggest just getting a new pump, that one might still work, but it's probably not strong enough and it sounds like it woulden't last much longer if if does work. If it does work, store it somewhere as a backup, but I woulden't trust it to be the main pump.

If you find that it has no filtration or inadaquate filtration, look into a Skippy. It is a DIY filter that is simple to make, very efficent, and pretty cheaply done compaired to commercial filters.

Dino... I might have to check out what you have in a few weeks... we're still getting snow, so I am definitly not ready quite yet, but we REALLY need some plants. I'd much rather buy from someone I trust than paying 5x as much for half the plants at half the quality.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Pickrel $3
lizards tail $3
water lettus 2 inch plants $1 each
parrots feather 10, 6 inch stalks $2
water thalia ( water bird of paradise) $5
banana plant $1 each
graceful cattail $3

Water lilies 1$ to 20$

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Dino, I'll be in touch about the plants. We gotta move everything outta here by Wednesday, and we'll be without internet access for probably two or three days next week. I have to prune ivy from over the pond; it's grown down into the water and is covering the waterfall area completely. There's a crate of stuff that looks like it might be for the pond, so hopefully something helpful will be in there; and there aren't any plants growing in it at all right now. Lotsa work to do. :) .... And lots to learn. I hope my goldies will be in the pond this time next month. Wonder what I can do with their 55 over the summer... or if the pond will be fit for them to spend the winter there too. Hmm.... the possibilities........

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
The golds should be fine in there over winter.
I have a similar pond set up here in East Tennessee, and have no problem over wintering fish.

When you get a good look at them, if they are single tailed fish, they are more than likely comets.
They are hardy pond fish, that with a little care, should be with you for many years.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Thx for the link, Steve.

The pond looks a bit clearer today, and we counted eight comets, not counting the big white one that we've seen lurking at the bottom. We don't know how many are in there since the water isn't clear, but it's nowhere near crowded.

I was thinking of putting my four goldies in the pond instead of setting up their 55, since all those other little guys are living in there. What do you guys think, should that be okay until I can drain and clean the pond? I gotta move tanks today. I can put the white clouds and dojos in my main 55 until I get everyone rearranged. Sure would simplify things a bit.

I left my camera at the new house, but I don't have Internet access there yet, so no pic posting today. :( Should have Internet there tomorrow... if we're lucky and the cable guy shows up.