new female betta

SarahR

New Fish
Nov 3, 2009
I just got her 2 days ago, and she only nibbled at the pellet food i gave her when i got her home from the pet store....she hasn't ate since, i'm worried. is this normal?

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Some bettas don't eat as much as others do. Most of mine eat every day (sometimes twice a day), but I know other people whose bettas only eat once a week no matter how often they feed them. Could be she's either stressed or just a picky eater. Have you had any fighting between your females yet? Don't worry if you do, they're just establishing dominance. My girls (all nine of them) go through a phase every once in a while where they re-establish dominance and I have a tank full of nipped fins. :p

SarahR

New Fish
Nov 3, 2009
Haha yeah when i first got the second on my first one would puff her cheeks out at her and kinda fling her tail at her body, lol. but they've been doing good. i went to the local pet store today and found out the food petco give me was not popular amoung bettas, lol i guess and to try a different food and it worked she ate like crazy.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Great! Mine will eat just about anything, including the sinking wafers I give my otocinclus cats. I caught one of my girls carrying one of the wafers around the tank the other day. Try feeding them either frozen (thawed) bloodworms or brine shrimp. Mine won't touch bloodworms, but they go absolutely NUTS over brine shrimp.