new discus tank 65 gallon.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
ok I think I have decided to start up the 65 gallon as discus - flourite subtrate, mixed with regular gravel, (estes walnut). big amazon swords, crypts...  lots of mopani, .. filtered peat, kent extracts, etc. etc. (I've done the research already)

I want to start with dimesized babies (+/-10wks old) there is a local breeder here in Ottawa -   question? how many do I get ?   Will they be OK growing up in this tank ?   is there anything else I should watch out for ?

I understand a 65 is a bit small for adult discuses ,it is 48x18x18.   by the time they are adults I hope to have a larger tank +200 gals for them.

thanks for your help.

ekim

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Somonas, I also have discus in a 66 Gal.  I'm also from Ottawa and have been looking for a Discus breeder!  You say there is one?  I'm looking forward to the new Bigal's opening up today on Innes!!  Your setup sounds good. *celebratesmiley*

R

ronrca

Check out
http://www.dphnet.com/sub-breedersurvey/breedercountry.shtmlThats how I found a breeder close to where I live. I believe that there are 2 breeders in Ontario but not sure how close to you guys.

Somonas,
I would start with at least 6 discus more if you can afford it. The 65G will be fine for 6-10 discus for a while depending on when you get the 200G. Are you putting any other fish in the 65 also? Of course, you can get more discus into the 200G but keep in mind taht all the plants and decor take away swimming space. If I were to start my 90G all over again, I would not put as many plants in. Just in the back more or less.

Good luck and have fun! I fondly remember when I got my discus last year.

Somonas, dime-sized is a little small for a first attempt. Especially as they need to be fed about 6x daily with daily waterchanges. I'd grow them out a little in a smaller tank, it would be easier, then you could pick out a couple of the really nice ones, and get other colours.

By the way, the babies you brought me are all doing fine!

And the 65 should be just fine for 6 adults, I'm planning on 5 total for my 55g.

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
I don't have discus, i want some but i really don't think i have the time for them. i did hear this some where though. Everyone knows of the one inches per gallon rule-i heard that with discus that it's one discus per 10 gallons. Don't know if it's right but sounds good.Good Luck *thumbsupsmiley*

P.S. Everyone who has discus-you are in my envy

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Don't know of any Breeders in your area, but will ask my friend on tips for Discus breeding & care. He's breed them before, and has 3 now that were keeping to possibly breed, 2 cobalt blues, and 1 cobalt blue w/white chest. I believe he called it a blue pigeon Discus.  Dime-sized do sound small though, I think more like 2-2.5 inches maybe are correct sized. Anyway, I'll post info soon. *thumbsup2*

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
heheh

unfortunately the africans have claimed the 75 gallon for themselves.  I might put a pair of discuses in my extra 33

for those of you have not seen my apartment (which is everyone except luvfishies). I am constantly playing aquarium roulette.   it is different whenever she visits  ;D