New betta dad

Mar 3, 2010
I have a betta fish, but i just got a 20 gal. tank and wont to put him in with some friends. What's safe?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Nothing too crazy or aggressive. I would recommend cories, platies, mollies, or the smaller tetras (neons, cardinals, von rios, bloodfins). The larger tetras (like black skirts, black phantoms, etc) are likely to fin nip unless kept in VERY large school, but even then they might find a betta's long, flowing fins too much to resist. Danios are too energetic for bettas and are potential fin-nippers. Same thing goes for guppies. That is a great link Bristlenose provided you with.

To be completely honest, I would just get your betta his own nice little 5gal tank (heated, filtered and cycled, of course) and leave him by himself. I had my son's betta in his 29gal community for a while and he was just WAY too stressed, even though everyone left him alone. He was in with platies, guppies, a couple of oto cats, and an upside down catfish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
from my experience bettas should not be with swordtails. even if you have the most vicious Betta- the plakat- it will still be destroyed by a male swordtail. be careful with mollies as well. those are known to be aggressive too.