New 44gal tank, what's wrong?

rpbrn

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2003
Columbus,OH
Visit site
We set our tank up on 11/23/02 and have been adding 3-4 fish, usually tetras, approx. every 2 weeks. We have the water tested frequently, follow all feeding and cleaning guidelines and 1 or 2 fish die or get ich every time we get new ones. I treat with nox-ich as directed but it comes back after treatment. We currently have 11 tetras, one angel and one pleco. Is it standard that one dies now and then or am I killing them somehow? Please advise!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can never keep tetras alive for a very long time. I had 20 neons in a 60 gallon and by the end of the year only 6 were left.

They are pretty fragile when it comes to water quality.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I like rainbow fish and larger tetras. The tetras are probably stressed because angelfish can sometimes harassed them. If the neons can fit it an angelfish's mouth, it could be a goner.

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Neons are not fragile imo! The most important factor with neons or cardinals is proper aclimization. This is done by using the drip method instead of the pour/wait method.

The drip method using a 5G pail and some air hose. By siphoning the tank water in the 5G pail over an hour or two, the neons will be fine. I have never had any problems with neons or cardinals dying this way.

Another concern is adding 3-4 fish every 2 weeks. I would recommend every 4-6 weeks instead. What are your ammonia/nitrite levels?

The most important factor in fish keeping is constant water parameters all the time. Are you perhaps changing ph?

rpbrn

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2003
Columbus,OH
Visit site
I'm not sure about my pH. I guess I should go ahead and get some testing supplies. I have been taking tank water to my lfs abouts every 3-4 weeks to have the ammonia and pH checked. If it's off, I wait a week or so and have it tested again until it's right before adding fish. I will wait 4-6 weeks between fish. Are tetras the only fish I can get for my tank? What goes well with them?

rpbrn

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2003
Columbus,OH
Visit site
Ok, so this morning I awaken to a fishie graveyard in my tank:confused: All I have left are two danios, one head and tail light tetra, on red eye tetra and one bloodfin tetra. I am definately taking a water sample to be tested today. Tell me, would disturbing the biologcal filter kill the fish. Some guy at a fish store told me to rinse it so I did only to discover later that I should never touch that! I feel like just turning my tank into a rock garden. I've become fishie Kavorkian and I don't know why. What should I do know?

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
rpbrn,
Im sorry about the fish! Do not give up! We are here to help and believe me, we all went thru the same thing. The most important thing to remember is we learn thru our mistakes.

In your case, to be blunt, it is expected as your tank has not finished or is in the middle of the nitrogen cycle. By disturbing the bio filter, ammonia will increase and ammonia is toxic to fish. Since you do not have any fish, why not try the fishless cycle instead? It will save fish plus at the end of 4 weeks, you can add all the fish your tank is capable of.

The nitrogen cycle is the most important factor in fish keeping to become familiar with. There are many, many articles about it. I would really recommend you reading them like the ones in the articles section.

Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We will help!

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Do you have test kits? If not, it would be a good idea! The cycle is complete when ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have some nitrates. However, if you are getting some ammonia/nitrite readings, then the cycle is not complete.

The only thing you can do is wait. You after you have waited a while, wait some more! LOL! Cycling usually takes around 4-6 weeks. If you want to try to keep your fish alive, you will need to do a lot of water changes to keep ammonia/nitrite levels from reaching harmful levels. This is where your test kits come in handy also.

Patience is the key amigo!

rpbrn

Small Fish
Jan 29, 2003
Columbus,OH
Visit site
RedTurquois,

Thanks for the support. I had my water tested this morning. Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0 and Nitrates=30ppm. I will wait a couple of weeks to let my tank rest before adding fish. I did get a test kit and will test weekly.