new 30 gallon long

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
Hey everyone! I just bought a 30 gallon long for my maroon clown and I put in water from my existing 65 gallon and approximately 20 lbs of cycled LR. As of now I'm waiting for the sand to settle. How long of a cycle should I expect? Thanks!

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
Also, I am using a pretty fine sand bed and a koralia rated up to 750 gph. I'm a little worried about this powerhead being too strong and blowing the sand around. I bought this size because the tank is 36 inches long and wanted to make sure I would get enough flow for this length. As of now the powerhead is off and the sand is setttling. Any advice on this?

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
the forum seems a little dead at the moment but oh well. the cycle was almost non existence and I figured out the correct powerhead placement. im gonna put a blue chromis in there just to make sure its truly safe and within a couple weeks the maroon clown will be in there.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I got one of those big circulators to, its in my 40G (breeding size). I had to point it a certain direction because it was stirring up my sand. I have a chunk of huge live rock I aimed it at. This seems to do the the trick. Those blue chromis look good, even better if you have multiple lights at different "K" (spectrum) levels. They look different shades under different "K" rated bulbs.

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
thats cool thing about the chromis lighting, but the main focus of this tank will be my maroon clown. and since i used existing water and live rock, my cycle was very short. hopefully in a few weeks ill be able to get some photos up.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have 2 regular clowns and had a four chromis with them until the chromis all died the same night, yes very weird!!?? No problems since, this was a while ago. The two types looked great together!! I have been wanting more but, the local says they have not been able to get them.