New 29 gallon tank

Oct 3, 2010
Detriot Mi
Ok i got a new tank for my birthday i got a power full canister filter and a lid they light was broken and it didnt have enough wattage any ways for 29 gallons. So im going to by a 28watt light would that be powerfull enough for a planted tank ? And I know i need a heater so what eles do i need besides plants and fish . also im going to do a dirt bottom with a cap of gravel. Any suggestions please help!

Feb 27, 2009
Make sure you are using organic soil and research the Walsted method before attempting a soil-capped-with sand/gravel set-up. It can be a good substrate that lasts for years, but you must be careful when adding fish until after the break-in period. Also, no fish that like to dig-in or move the substrate as it will expose the soil and foul your water. The plants you choose are also critical. If you like stem plants and want to trim and replant the trimmings, I would not recommend this type of substrate. When you replant plants, you will expose the soil.

A test kit is A MUST if you want to keep fish healthy. Not a dip-the-strip kind, but a liquid test kit with test tubes (API Master Freshwater kit for example).

Feb 27, 2009
It is made by John Deere now. I can't say its better or that a soil with cap is better. They are just different. It depends on what you want to do with an aquarium, how much effort you want to put into it, and what type of plants and fish you like to keep.

Me, personally, I like to grow plants, dig them up, split them into two, plant the two parts in different places or sell/trade off half. If you like to do that, go with an 'aquarium plant gravel' (Turface is one brand, though not commonly sold as an aquarium gravel in a pet store) and not soil with a cap.

If you want to plant plants and just leave them alone, cut excessive growth off but leave the roots undisturbed, then soil with a cap might be a better choice. Although it seems like it has less effort, the initial set-up and planning of the soil-based aquarium is more involved. You reallly need to understand how and why the soil works the way it does, really need to understand the chemistry involved. But, once established, they can grow a lushly planted aquarium with little effort.

Feb 27, 2009
agree with OrangeCones.
I use this stuff: AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Plant Substrate
I can't say enough good things about it. It's similar to EcoComplete, but WAY less money. Plus you get a bucket! lol
It is repackaged Turface, and Turface is way less expensive (if you can get locally, its the shipping that raises the cost). I bought a 50 pound bag, used less than 1/2 of it to do a 40gallon breeder tank, for $8.95.