Neon Tetra with bleeding eye...HELP!

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
So yesterday afternoon I was checking on my Peppered Cory Catfish (he's not the most active little guy ever, he'll clean for a few days at a time and then lay very still for a few days at a a time with his gills still pumping) and one of my Neon Tetras was swimming over him. The Neon Tetra turned around and I saw this bloody ring underneath his eye. I googled what it could possibly be and (since there was lots of algae in my tank yesterday before I did a partial water change) decided that his eye was irritated horribly.
I did a partial water change and checked back on him several times that evening. His eye seemed to be gradually getting bloodier.
This morning I caught him fighting with one of my other Neon Tetras. So now I think I should isolate him from everyone using my breeder net.
What do you think the problem is, and should I isolate him?

THANK YOU!!!! *twirlysmi

Feb 27, 2009
I've never had a fish get a bloody eye from doing water changes.

What sized tank are these fish in? What fish do you keep together (species and numbers)? What are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
I have two Cherry Barbs, a Peppered Cory Catfish, an albino Bristlenose Pleco, and African Dwarf Frog, two Glofish, and four Neon Tetras in a 20 gallon tank. I don't know my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings right now but this has been the first fish in a while to get sick.

Feb 27, 2009
Without water parameters, it is difficult to get an idea of the water quality. Changing water should not cause your neon's symptoms.

You have a lot of incomplete shoals of fish. Fish like barbs, cories, glofish and tetras really need to be kept in groups. Until you figure out the cause of the neon's symptoms, however, I would not try to add more but would make plans to do so later.

What other sickness have you experienced? You mentioned this was the first fish 'in a while' to get sick. How long has the tank been set up?

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
I've had my tank set up since around August (2012). Here are some fish sicknesses I've experienced:
I had ONE ammonia problem back in early April (it killed a baby fish that I had been caring for since February).
I've had a swim-bladder problem before (but that doesn't have much to do with water quality from what I've heard)
I've had around 3 fish kill each other, but other than these deaths most of my fish are dying from old age or being sucked onto the filter intake (there aren't as many intake killings anymore since I installed a filter bag)

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Buy a test kit and get the water params. Also I would keep a cautious eye on that frog. From what I understand they can develop claws and get quite large.

Feb 27, 2009
I've had a swim-bladder problem before (but that doesn't have much to do with water quality from what I've heard)
Swim bladder infections are normally brought on by poor water conditions.

I've had around 3 fish kill each other
What fish are these that killed each other?

most of my fish are dying from old age
How old are the fish? You mentioned that the tank was set up in 2012.

being sucked onto the filter intake
A healthy fish will not be sucked into a filter intake unless the flow was very overpowering. A fliter bag would not slow down such a flow.

Tyarith

Small Fish
Apr 26, 2013
The fish being sucked into the filter were normally actually pretty old...and the swim bladder infections haven't been recent, they were back in November.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I've had my tank set up since around August (2012). Here are some fish sicknesses I've experienced:
I had ONE ammonia problem back in early April (it killed a baby fish that I had been caring for since February).
I've had around 3 fish kill each other, but other than these deaths most of my fish are dying from old age or being sucked onto the filter intake (there aren't as many intake killings anymore since I installed a filter bag)
This has all happened in less than a year and its really kind of vague about the number of fish you have lost. When you say, "Most of my fish are dying from old age" it makes me wonder how you know how old they actually are if you have only had the tank for less than a year. From what I can tell from what you post is you have problems with water condition and your tank has probably never been cycled. How often do you do a water change and how much? You really need to be able to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.