Need some more info!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay you guys I will have the money soon to set up a 20 sw tank and need some help. I just want this to be a fish and invert tank only with some live rock. My main question is what all filtration do I need? I was thinking a protein skimmer and maybe a power head? What do you think I need other than that or does that sound good? Thanks for the advice. ;D *twirlysmiley* *thumbsupsmiley*

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Maybe a small hang-on- back power filter :) But, everything else sounds good *thumbsup2* Just curious but, what fish are you planning on putting in it ??? Inverts???

Daniel

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Options A
1.  Skimmer.  You can get away with not having one if you can do some small water changes every week or two.  Fish will tolerate a higher nitrate level than corals.  Maybe a prizm skimmer could make your like easier.
2.  HOB power filter with biowheel. You won't need one if you have a deep sand bed and some live rock.  Powerheads will provide circulation while the sand/live rock will provide the filtration.
3.  4" of aragonite sand.  This will provide biological filtration also.
4.  Live rock.  Biological filtration and some hiding places for your inverts.
5.  Powerhead.
6.  Patience.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Here is what I have picked up in my salt talks and expierence.

First to you mean by inverts..shrimp crabs ect?

You will want to keep the nitrates minimal.
I say always use a protein skimmer if you can IMO. get the disolved baddies out before they are turned into nitrates. But like dattack suggested, small water changes would be good as well.

Never use a bio-wheel...don't know where the salty expert is nowadays but as he said..its an instant nitrate factory.I agree totally.

Ryan, are you fishless cycling your tank?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I'm still kinda skeptical about getting it. I was going to have a small HOB filter, skimmer, and a powerhead. I was also going to get some argonite sand and live rock so it sounds like I will be okay. I was going to get some clowns and shrimps at first. And yes of course I was planning on a fishless cycle. ;D Thanks. :)