Need some advice

Jan 17, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Due to the overpopulation of feeder guppies in my green frogs' aquarium (Green frogs don't eat fish, I guess...) and the need to cull out the bad fry that I get from the other livebearers that I breed ON PURPOSE (unlike those little buggers in my frog tank) I would like to get a predaceous fish that will actually eat such "problem fish." I have one five gallon long with heating, lighting, and a bubbler that is empty and can be devoted completely to this fish. My first thought, of course, was "Oscar" but those get waaaaaaaaay too big for my little five gallon.
So, I am asking you--is there any hardy, predaceous fish out there that can live in a five gallon? Knowing very little about predaceous fish, my list of them is very short, as you might imagine. I also need to know what care this fish requires, seeing as I am used to gentle little livebearers and the like. By the way--I also need this to be a fish that is fairly easy to get; one that I can actually find.
Any ideas would be very helpful!
Thanks.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The only thing I can think of that would go in a 5g and eat fry is a dwarf gourami (neon or powder blue). A tiger barb would also eat fry, but they're not too happy alone. Neither is exactly "predatory" but they both eat fry.

Maybe someone else has some suggestions :)