Need New Bulbs

Sluder4

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2010
Lexington, N.C.
Well I am looking to get two new bulbs for my aquarium. At the moment I have a very soft glowing 20w lights. I can't stand how it makes my take look and doesn't show my fish and there true color and soon ill be adding plants. So I am wondering, do I need to get 2 80W small white glow bulbs? Or will that be 8 WPG? (I have a 20g tank). I am new to this so I really don't understand that concept.

Now I have seen the kind of bulb I need at walmart but didn't want to go and buy it and it now be what I need.

Feb 27, 2009
I think the fish would need sunglass with 8wpg! *SUNSMILE*

A 20gallon high is a hard tank to light due to its height. The fixture you have will determine what the max light you can put in it. Most stock light fixures 24" wide will hold only 20watts.

Are you planning on replacing the fixture or adding a 2nd one? You can also do a retrofit to allow for a CF light. A 55watt CF fixture would light it pretty good for medium light plants.

Sluder4

Small Fish
Apr 12, 2010
Lexington, N.C.
Well i had one of my lights on my aquarium go out so I had to go to walmart and all they had were some 15W plant bulbs for 2 dollars so I just grabbed those for the time being. I will look and see what they have online but after trying to get take out my algae eaters from my tank i am starting to see that adding plants to an existing set up is lot of work and frustration. But still better lights is always a plus.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I like the daylight bulbs (brite white) for the way the fish look. Soft white bulbs are not my favorites. I have use the aquarium bulbs from Wal-Mart and they are OK. I think the bulbs I like are aroun 6500K.