Need Help!!!

Feb 7, 2008
i recently just moved i have a 20 gal saltwater tank.. my question is when i plugged my filter in it makes a loud noise after a couple of seconds like water isnt getting sucked in i made sure everything was in place were it should be and still nothing even pouring water into the filter while running doesnt help. . i really need to get it back up and running before anything happens to my fish. . i do have a a powerhead in there just so there not in still water. . any help or suggestions would be appreciated. .

Dr_fish

Medium Fish
Jan 14, 2008
Canada
Try filling the filter up to the top with water. Then turn it on, it will make a noise every filter does this (its the filter getting rid of air in the tubes). After about 30 secs the filter will start to pump water. Nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the Tank

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I had one that I got from someone that had been completely dried out...I thought it was dead. I left it soaking in water while I tried to figure out what to do (few hours on the weekend) and plugged it in again just to make sure it was still dead and it started up! Whatever it was in there that had dried out made it not want to move but it started up after soaking for awhile...go figure!

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I don't know what kind of filter you have, but sometimes I have a problem when restarting my power filter. I fill it up and it makes a sound like it's not getting any water. The only way I can get it to stop is to first make sure it is on the highest flow setting and make sure the is water in it. If I pour water in the container it will stop sucking.

It is a good idea to check the impeller, sometimes pieces of charcoal from my filter can make there way to the impeller, or other debris, clean that out. Make sure none of the tubes are clogged. Also if you have filters in there make sure the water is able to flow through it, if my filter fills with too much water it stops sucking.

I hope you can figure out what's wrong, good luck!