Need help starting my 60 gallon saltwater aquarium

Feb 5, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Ok, as my username states, I am new at the whole saltwater game. I decided to throw my hat into the ring when I heard of the challenge and the immense rewards that building and maintaining a saltwater aquarium comes with. I purchased a 60 gallon tank since I heard it was a good starter size and my daughters were immediately excited, especially when they saw some of the saltwater fish online. I only have the tank right now as I am doing this process slow and correct........well hopefully correct lol. I know what pumps, filters, crushed coral, protein skimmer, wavemaker, and everything else I'm getting, but I'm running into problems deciding on fish.Firt off, my daughters would be heartbroken if I couldn't pt at least one clownfish in, whichluckily I heard that I can put and should put two in, as they do well in pairs. Unfortunately, I can not put a tang in there as I would need a bigger tank, pretty big dissapointment but hey, you gotta walk before you can run. I was wondering how many fish max I could keep in the tank so I don't overstock and I end up limiting the fishes growth? I was also wondering, with the size of the tank I have, and I am planning on using liverock and live plants, would go great with the clownfish but also look amazing in the tank once completed. I'm using a double bright LED light in the hood, and then wan to place some mutli color LED bands in the bottom just underneath the crushed coral so I have a bit of a wow factor in the bottom of the tank. The tank is a four foot long tank. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am not a SW person, but the first thing they will ask you is "Have you read the Stickys at the beginning of this forum?" That much I know - there is a lot of information there.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
They are the first entries in the forum entitled "Saltwater General Discussion" - that is where I assume you entered this Thread you started. There are numerous different forums if you will just scroll down after you click on "Forums". Keep trying - you'll get there - I had my problems finding my way around at first too and new things continue to pop up!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Here is a good place to start looking for info. http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/sal...ll-need-when-starting-saltwater-aquarium.html . You need to start off slow with the fish. Just about two at a time after the live rock is cycled which could take a couple to a few weeks. If you are doing hand size fish you can a few maybe more if your live rock can handle it. Most SW tanks do not need a filter if you are having coral as they will eat what the filter takes out of the water column. Well, you have a lot of research to and be sure to check into a Algae Scrubber http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/sal...a-powerful-nitrate-phosphate-remover-diy.html . This type of device gets your nutrient levels to zero. Let us now if you have questions.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can definitely keep a pair of clownfish in a tank that size. Your other fish choices will mostly depend on the size and aggression level of the other fish. Because a 60 gallon tank doesn't work for most larger fish, you're best off sticking to fish with an adult size of less than 6 inches. Perhaps look into gobies, wrasses, cardinals and similar fish.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
generally when it comes to SW its not about how many fish you have but the corals. i have a 40g with two fish, but filled with coral.

you will need 120-150lbs of live rock, whichever way you want to do it, whether it is buy some live rock then buy some dried up rock and the live rock will seed it. takes longer this way but still works.
rock goes down before sand, or else burrowing critters will cause the rocks will fall and possibly shatter your tank.
you if you will need a cleanup crew-snails and my perferred choice but you will get hitchhikers on live rock/corals lke crabs/shrimp/bristleworms ect.

stickys are a great place to start. but if you want more than a few fish, irecommend going with freshwater. there are a lot of great combnations of freshwater fish that could make the tank colorful and actve. and if your wanting a challenge could do a planted tank, as i find it harder in some aspects than the SW.