Napping Fantail

meggles72

Small Fish
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Is it normal for a fantail to "nap" at the bottom of the tank? The other two do the normal 'hover' thing, but this boy likes the bottom. He is normal in every other way - eating like a horse, growing well, potters about. Just seems to like kicking back when relaxing. He has been doing this for the 6 months that I have had him.

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
That's a 17 or so gallon tank -- a bit small for three goldfish. They'd be much better in a 150L long or larger tank. Does he swim at all aside from when being fed or when otherwise stimulated? Bottomsitting can be a symptom of gill flukes.

meggles72

Small Fish
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
There is only the two of them and I am endeavouring to purchase a whopping big tank once we have moved in the next couple of months, currently I do water changes every two weeks. And apart from the naps he takes at the same time daily (around 9pm) he is constantly swimming about normally, feeding normally. Saying hello and "I'm STARVING" every morning. It wouldn't surprise me if it is an odd thing. All my animals are odd, yet to own anything remotely normal in the personality department.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If he only does it at night, it is perfectly normal for goldfish to sleep on the bottom. From your initial post it sounded to me like he was doing it more often.

I was also confused as to how many others were in the tank as you mentioned the two others in one post and that he was with one in the next. ;)

Keep up the water changes -- if your nitrite and ammonia are both always at 0, your pH is steady and nitrates under 20, they should be able to wait for the new tank.

meggles72

Small Fish
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Yus I must make an apology for that. In my first post I did mention 2 others. One was relocated the next day to my tank at work. Thanks for helping to clear this up though, its appreciated.

By the way can someone explain to me what the little green squares mean in the post boxes? Apparantly I am on a distinguished road but I have no idea where that road is going. *twirlysmi

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
yesterday i bought a calico telescope eye goldie for my sister... when i just went in her room to peak at him, he was resting on a fake log. at first i thought maybe he was dead, but then he swam around a little. he also has a little red spot in his right eye.

sorry to kidnap this thread. :eek: i figured i didn't need to make my own, though, since this is a related problem!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The red spot may be an injury or even just him (is it a red spot or can you see into his cornea?) What size tank is he in and is it cycled? With a newly bought fish, I would watch him closely anyways. Keep an eye out for bottomsitting.

Meg> the squares are a reflection of our "reputation" -- if we give reliable advice, some people and the forum itself may give points (even for grammar) if we're off the wall, argumentative or give poor, ill-advised advice, other posters can indicate to everyone else that we may not be a reliable source of info. (essentially red flag people)