Nano-tank Filters

levia7han

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
They say cans are bad for saltwater because they produce too much nitrate. And in a smaller tank that could add up fast.

I think that a HOB would be ok for filtering. But what most people would say is get about 1-1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon and then run a powerhead to circulate the water around. That would be your best bet.

Also a good amount of live sand will help.

Lev

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
lol excellent...my type of question.

what are you putting in the tank?

HOB filters have always worked for me. don't get one with a bio-wheel though. they will cause your nitrates to raise.

right now in my 30g fish/coral/invert tank, i have around 40lbs of live rock and around 45lbs of crushed coral with aragonite doing my filtration. 2 aquaclear 301 powerheads and an empty HOB filter are doing the circulation.

if i had more money, i'd get around 10 more pounds of live rock, i'd upgrade my powerheads to 401's, and i'd replace my crushed coral with 4" to 6" of Southdown play sand. and that would be my filter. expensive, but nice. lol

Tim

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

Right now I'm stuck as to what I could put in it, all the pretties seem to need 30 gallons or more for a single 2" fish. But I was thinking along the lines of a few corals and a Helfrichi Firefish OR a Goby Firefish and a few shrimp.

Are shrimp and corals bad together generally or is it just with certain species?

And about the filtration;

So basicly live rock and sand replaces the filter? And all I would need for water current is a few powerheads? And.. HOB filters, with or without media? Or are HOB's just used for the airation and current?

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
i use my HOB for airation and circulation, but you can put the extra media in there.

the firefish would do good in a 10g. i had 2 black percula clownfish in a 5.5g

it really depends on the kind of shrimp you get. some will eat corals, some won't. peppermint shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, and blood shrimp are good with corals and they all look nice. skunk cleaner shrimp would be the most useful though as they will clean your fish of most diseases.

Tim

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
imo 5.5g is too small for a pair of percs, I would go at least 10g for that...could keep any of the clowns singly in that size aquarium, psuedochromi, many of the blennys, cardinalfish (I like bangaii, but pyjama would be fine as well)...there are really a lot of options for stocking, just do some research first

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
well they were in there when i first got them, which was when they were still babies. they're now in the 30g. bangaii cardinals are beautiful fish. not too exciting though. royal grammas are nice fish. scooter blennies would do alright, as long as the tank has plenty of live rock in it and a fair sized copepod population. i got mine eating frozen blood worms.

i've never heard of boston beans before...and apparently neither has google. lol boxfish get really big. some actually get as big as a 10g aquarium in the wild.

what kinds of corals, fish, or inverts were you looking on getting?

Tim

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
Well I really can't say as of yet, I'm still reading up on alot of things.

I know I want some sort of colorful anemone, and I've always liked those button/mushroom corals, and there *is* a type of shrimp I've seen lately that looks appealing. It's a little red and white shrimp that moves it's 'pinchers' left and right as it walks forward and right to left when it walks backwards, I spose I'll find out the name eventually.

But yeah, I'm really looking into keeping one of those Dartfish and maybe two leeeeeetle fish like Damsels.

Last edited:

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Anemone's are rather hard to keep... Definitely not something for a first saltwater tank.

Go over here - www.nano-reef.com all the information you really need and should follow is in the tech section. Be forwarned the message board can be a little 'beginner unfriendly' if you haven't done your research before posting...

Andy

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
anenomes wouldn't do good in a 10g aquarium. the water parimeters will fluxuate too much for their likings.

hmm...well damsels will kill your dartfish, then will turn on themselves, so i wouldn't recommend them unless your only going to keep one.

http://www.fragexchange.com/ is just about the best website for saltwater aquariums.

Tim

offish

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2004
surrey, england
Visit site
On the filtration I would load up with as much live rock as you can, and use the powerheads as suggested above. In my 90l (i guess 20 UK gal) reef I also run with a small skimmer and lots of wool in a small can just to remove small particles. I also use a phosphate remover in the can to avoid any algae problems (I also use RO). The skimmer is a good idea if you are gonna mix fish and inverts in such a small set up.

For inverts try something leather (mushrooms, toads, etc) and a pulse coral - xenia, they are always on the go and look good.
For fish keep them as small as poss- neon gobies, and the like.