Mystery eggs...

Oct 22, 2002
In my 30 gallon, a just found about a dozen eggs attached to a floating plant and a few to the side of the tank.  Anyway, I have no ideas on whose they are.  They're not the angelfish's, she lays them on the filter intake, and platties don't lay eggs.  Can't be the pleco's.  That leaves panda cories, golden ottos, and SAEs.  My hunch is the cories because two of the three have paired off, and they look like they have been flirting for the past couple of months.  Any thoughts?  The eggs are just hazy white with a tiny little opaque spot un the middle.  

thanks,
john

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I'd say the panda cories. I had the same thing happen to me when my emerald cories spawned and I had no idea who laid the eggs. They were attached to the glass and underside of some of my silk plant leaves. Then I actually caught them in the act. Cories, from the reasearch I've done, spawn when there is like a drastic 10oF drop then rise in their water temp. In the wild, they spawn during the rainy seasons. Mine spawned during the springs storms we had here back in April after I did a pretty big water change on the tank. None of the eggs survived though, my green tiger barb ate them.
~~Colesea

Oct 22, 2002
Thankfully, they're not snail eggs...  I've [unfortunately] learned to recognize those...  They're probably the cories.  Last wednesday the power went out for 5-6 hours.  That probably wouldn't have cooled the tank that much though, but could it have prompted the courtship rituals?  Anyway, I found this little article: http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/reference/f42.asp

I clipped the floating plant pieces and put them and the eggs in a net for fry figuring they'll hatch in there, so my angel and platties can't get them...

thanks,
jonh