My Tank

Oct 24, 2009
College Station, Texas
Finally got some decent pictures of my tank, although all info on how to take better photos of a tank will be greatly appreciated.

The tank is not empty my fish are just a little camera shy, took over 90 photos and only have two photos of the actual fish that are clear, cichlids are fast! ;)

Looking forward to some feedback on how I can improve it!

Also if anyone has an idea of how to get the water stains off the outside of my tank I would be indebted to you, tried Windex and several other glass cleaners without success.

Hope you like it, Enjoy!

Attachments

Oct 24, 2009
College Station, Texas
Future plans include removing the four plastic plants once I am sure the tank can support the new live one. Not sure if this is how I should be judging plant grow but whenever there is an excess of algae I replace a plastic plant with a real one, so basically I use plants as algae eaters.

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
lol when i opened the thread i was like WOAH BRIGHT lol love the coloured plants they deffo stand out :) well done looks really coll :) oh and whats the cichlid in the third pic ?? :)

Oct 24, 2009
College Station, Texas
Electric Blue Johannii (Melanochromis Johanni) is in the third pic, thats also him in the second pic between the plants. Yes its bright I did that so that all the tropical fish I had would stand out, unless I get guppies or a betta they are all pretty dull looking. They have not liked the local water though so I did some research and have recently start putting in cichlids which are much more interesting color and activity wise so its time to change out the plants for some live stuff. Thanks for the comments guys, love hearing them.
I have not tried Lime Off, but will give it a shot thanks Tom91970

Sadly the only other place is Petsmart off university. They have very few fish to choose from apart from the guppies that seem to be in every tank except the 3 that are housing cichlids. But whatever you choose to do be careful on how you choose them, water quality is VERY bad in College Station. Water hardness is at the HIGHEST 0 and Alkalinity (kh) is over 300, pH over 8.4. I am sure you know all of this though unless you normally go the other direction to lufkin to get your fish. Any help on where to get better water would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I am using every tip and I guess trick I can find online to reduce KH and pH some just so I can get it to read and make sure they don't get away from me. Such as allowing nitrates to get to 20-30, starting live plants instead of plastic and trying to find some driftwood. Driftwood is still eluding me though. (if anyone knows these methods to be false please info me) I am new to keeping fish where water quality is an issue. Colorado water is easy to keep track of, all you need is a heater.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Sadly the only other place is Petsmart off university. They have very few fish to choose from apart from the guppies that seem to be in every tank except the 3 that are housing cichlids. But whatever you choose to do be careful on how you choose them, water quality is VERY bad in College Station. Water hardness is at the HIGHEST 0 and Alkalinity (kh) is over 300, pH over 8.4. I am sure you know all of this though unless you normally go the other direction to lufkin to get your fish. Any help on where to get better water would be greatly appreciated.
You would think that CS would have a better selection that that. The only place in Lufkin that I know of is Petsmart the same as the one in Tyler. However, Tyler also has Petland which is pretty good. Exotic Fish has a better selection (also in Tyler). I live within an hour of each place so I shop at all.

Jan 4, 2010
Thanks Newman I will try this out tonight seeing as lime off has eluded me so far.
That 10 gal is probably glass, right? A dilute HF solution would do the trick- maybe 5-10%? :D
(Don't do that.)
Vinegar has worked for me in the past, too. Depends on what the stain is though..

Nice looking tank though- I'll definitely take a few pointers from these pics when aquascaping mine!

No, it's still open. When did you live here? It might have had a different owner at that time.
I lived there just for the summer over two years ago, so 2007?

Quote Robanada "That 10 gal is probably glass, right? A dilute HF solution would do the trick- maybe 5-10%?
(Don't do that.)
Vinegar has worked for me in the past, too. Depends on what the stain is though.."

Its a 25 gallon. I have no clue what a HF is so please inform me as I have tried several things and its a real distraction as it prohibits my ability to see my fish clearly.
I wish I knew what the stain was, it just looks like water that dried up. As long as the stain is wet it is invisible but as soon as the glass dries it becomes dirty again.
Also thanks for your interest in my tank glad to know it might inspire someone.