My Otocinclus'

To start off, for those who don't know, I got my two otos a couple days ago. The large one is Gabi and the small one is Sonja. I have no idea if they are males or females so the names don't mean anything. I have moved them from my clean 20g to my algae covered 5g. I am starting to wonder if I got a male and a female. Gabi seems kind of bloated and I'm not sure if that means she's got eggs. I did some reading and found that they spawn similarily to cories. Here are some pictures with captions. If anyone has any additional information, please add it here. It would be really awesome if I could get them to spawn...

Here are Gabi (top) and Sonja (bottom)...

Here's Gabi...

Compared to Sonja...

Gabi from the side with a bulging belly...

Gabi's head up close because I think it looks cool...

Anyway, if anyone has any comments, questions, or advise, please let me know. Thanks. :D

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
Wow, Gabi is a chubby little oto. It would be cool if you got them to spawn, and with your luck lately it wouldnt surprise me.

Edit: I agree with cchase, the pictures are good.

Last edited:
Thanks! As you can see, there's a bunch of algae everywhere and they are definitely eating it! The only down side to having them in there is that Finfin chases them sometimes, but they'll just have to get used to it. I can't put him in the 20g because of Kissyboots. I don't know how much longer she will be in there...:(

Jan 19, 2008
nice oto's! to ME it jsut looks like a well fed fish. im no expert though.

Ive got one oto, and i have to be honest, its possibly the worst algae cleaner ive seen so far, as far as green algae is concerned. Brown algae gets gobbled though.

Good luck with them though.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I just picked up a pair of Ottos. I didn't expect both to survive given they're suposed to be frail fish but they seem to be doing well but mine aren't intrested in my algae! *cries* Ah well back to scrubbing I go.

Hey, got a little problem/idea.

Would it be possible to have one oto in the puffer tank and one oto in the fry tank?

Or would they get lonely? I don't want to move both out of the puffer tank cuz then it would get algaey. And I need something to keep the fry tank clean cuz I'm scrubbing every week.
Ideas/suggestions?

cynbene

Small Fish
May 16, 2008
They are beautiful!!! :D I have 3 and 2 sort of look like your fat one the other one is thinner........I really love them and your pictures are great I can't get them to stay still long enough to get one :rolleyes: I am feeding mine the Hikari wafers as they totally cleaned all the algae within a couple of days......you could eat off of my plants lol.....Do you supliment too or are they just getting algae so far?