My LION Fish

I caught this bad boy about 18 months ago while walking 3 km across mud to a reef of the dampier Archapelago Western Australia ( at high tide theres sharks galore - THATS ANOTHER STORY - i can swim faster in water than a shark can in ****e) anyway he was about an inch long (so cute) he is a gut and a half, he eats so much you can see mullet ( a fish ) shapes in his gut and he rests on his side. FAT BOY

i also got a clump of torch coral, about 2 dinner plates in size.

Attachments

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Very Nice!

Im curious about that camaro said, plus I have another question:
What if any extra steps do you take to 'clean' a wild fish like that (and the corals) from any parisites and or other dangerous things from the wild that could destroy a captive tank?

thanks guys, obviouly some pics dont do the fish fishes justus.

1. 1979camaro - Me and a mate had inquired to the local fisheries dept about this. at that stage there was no ruling or protection for that reef, how ever further south there is NIGLOO reef, bloody fantastic, i wouldnt dare touch that. there was a few restiction at this reef no clowns or anemonies and there was a few others that i cannot remember, sorry. UPDATE - when i left that region that area had became protected( it wasnt cos of us it was on the agenda for a while ) now i am near the great barrier that is also a zone that is untochable with out a licence.

2. apparently to 38cm ( 15 in ) i have seen them hearding fish that size at boat ramps - i wish i had a net then another time another mate here caught one on a line - i had my back to him and all i heard was WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THAT - i wish i had a container

FYI - from reef to reef is approx 5000km (3107 mile ) when i was posted i carried him and most of my fav fish in a eski ( a cooler i thing you call it ) the rest were release back to the same spot.

cleaning

mate (orion )

the fish supplies that rape that area only place them in holding tanks and ship them . i just placed him in with the others he was healthy and bight ,the other fish had come from that region- this is why i i change frim cichlids cos of the abundance of nice marine. as for the corals yes they were rinced/dunked in warm salt water ( from the tank on water changes the temp up there got to 55c ( 131 f ) at times in summer - desert meets reef and where i am now rainforrest meets reef, strange land here.

LOL

LOL @ ex cons, strangely enuff we take great pride in this,

mate you can do this place on the cheap. and still splash out.

I prefere to get brought unwashed corals, due to you may end up with some nice extras, IE: i got some torch coral for 20 buck and a extra 70 dollars for the miniture salt water crayfish, BONUS.
plus there may be other gifts on there too, feathers, morphs and all cos you wanted some coraline etc etc. but you may get the opposite too

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Wow, very interesting. But I do supose that it makes sense due to all the living creatures that inhabit a SW tank, that anything harmfull introduced would be quickly taken care of.

What a trick, to be able to collect (or at least used to) your own fish and coral.

It was a buzz to pick and choose your own stock. the reef was about 3 km from shore at low tide. 3 km long and 50 meters wide surrounded by mud. on the other side was the continental shelf with big bities swimming around, oceanic tiger sharks are not nice.

lol hows this- you would all know about our crocodiles here, yeah. ok last week a guy was taken by one while he was in his tent. any way i was thinking to night when at dask i was filling my 100 lt container with salt water. how dopey this is due to the fact that they are out there, i see them in the esturies, on the beach, in the ocen they are found 60 km out at sea and here i am and have been for nearly a yr at this location up to my nuts in the ocean in near darkness, i moved locations after about 30 lts,

the things we do for our hobbies. thrill seeker, NO- idiot i think. instant salt might be the go, lol