My goldfish keeps getting bullied

Nov 3, 2015
I'm really struggling, I have a platy and a chubunkin goldfish in the same tank (was told that was okay) but the platy will not stop beating up the chubunkin, this is the third time he has had chunks out of his fins and just don't know what to do. I've tried separating them and they are okay after a while then fight again. I also tried adding more plants to creating hiding places but my platy will force the goldfish in to a corner and then charge at it....Is putting another chubunkin in a bad idea either to give mine a buddy or maybe another fish to take the load off. I have 28 litre tank :/

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hmm. i'd say you'll need to remove one. first is that platy are more tropical fish and goldfish are more coldwater fish so their water requirements are a bit different.

2nd...28 litre..if my calculation is correct...that's about 7-8 gallon tank? i'd say that's too small for a goldfish (size wise and that goldfish pollute ALOT).

if that size tank is correct..i would keep the platy and give it another friend (of the same sex...cause they'll breed like crazy) and definitely not put two goldfish into that small tank size.

hope that helps!

Nov 3, 2015
Thank you for your help :) they do get on but occasionally the platy just beats the other up for a few days then stops.

Is it worth adding another platy so mine has a friend and keep the goldfish in it?

Really don't want to have two tanks if I can help it :/

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
There just isn't room in there for the goldfish. Picture a 20cm or more fish in your tank. They really need 20 gallons (about 75 liter) minimum. Plus even at a smaller size, goldfish create a lot of waste and it will become more or less impossible to keep water quality up in such a small environment.

Without a much larger tank, I doubt you'll be able to prevent the platy from nipping at the goldie. Crowding only increases aggression. You'll do better to see if you can exchange the goldie for either another platy or something else more size-appropriate for the tank you have.

Also if the store suggested the goldfish and the platy for a 28L tank, I would not trust any other "advice" they may offer....