my dwarf gouramis won't eat..

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
won't eat the flake food or they may only eat a bite.

But they seem to be trying to eat the hornwort. I say trying cause it seems like they just nibble it. They swim around tasting things, but i'm not sure if they ever eat.

Is there another easy to grow plant that they would like to eat instead of hornwort. I was thinking Anacharis... I prefer a plant that i don't have to plant. I have plenty of lighting (55W fluorescent in a 5 gal).

Jason

Oct 22, 2002
Don't worry, how long has it ben since you got your fish? I had a maleBadis badis baids who would breed for two weeks then eat for one then breed for two more and so on. Fish just don't need as mcuh food as humans. Calm down, but if they don't start eating in say a week then try introducing the anacharis.

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
i moved my 2 platies to a different tank. And the honey gourami has started to eat some flake food, but the female dwarf gourami still doesn't eat the flake food.

She prefers to just nibble on the plants (hornwort and anacharis). My female betta killed a small ghost shrimp the other day and the female DG ate some of the shrimp too.

CSM

Small Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Golden, CO
Visit site
unfortunately she died yesterday. I moved her to the 'hospital' tank and she just had no energy. She swam to the top of the water once and stayed there for a few minutes gently floating around with the hornwort. I put some food in there and she still did not eat it.