My DIY Tank/Stand

surfergal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
WOW! What a stand. I like those cool cover pieces that encase the corners of the tank. You are one lucky duck with a Dad that spent that much time and effort on a stand. Do something really special for him at Father's Day OK!

surfergal ;)

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
*celebratesmiley*

Ronrca,

Wow, that's vera cool! I would love to try making my own, rather than buying one...perhaps you and your dad would consider selling plans ??? I didn't get the backpiece folding out..can you explain? I'm pretty new at all this anyways...

Great job !!!

Kevin

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
*crazysmiley*

Colesea....

Click on Ronrca's name, then his website. It will drop you into his yahoo photo album. Select 90 gal.

Great tank, Ronrca!  *thumbsup2*

Kevin

R

ronrca

The backpiece is using 2 sheets of oak instead of one piece. By doing this, we put a hinged in the center therefore the top sheet opens and gives access to the back of the tank.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Thanks newfisher, I didn't know a person could do that<G>.

Wow, nice stand *drool* nice fish too BTW. Hey, if your dad made more of those, you two could turn a pretty proffit by selling them to AGA or Oceanic or something. They would easily sell. That's one beautiful stand.
~~Colesea

R

ronrca

My dad and I both agree that this stand would sell however it takes time to build and Im not sure how much we could sell this stand for. Materials alone costed around $600 and thats not including the tank and any other aqua related 'stuff'. The materials we used is solid oak therefore a little expensive. As for the plans, well, sad to say Im not sure where they are. I actually 'designed', if you could call if that, the stand and did the electrical work. My dad is a finishing carpenter by trade and started making furniture initially.

I guess the question is:
How much would you actually pay for this stand?
Like mentioned before, it is solid oak, will fit a tank of 4' x 2.5' x 2.5' (90G). There are plugs build in the stand as seen in the pictures therefore all you need to do is plug into 1 wall outlet via a 3' extension cord. The extension cord then connects to a GFI plug.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I believe you can get more buyers if the wood was made out of pine.  HOwever, if you advertised to reefers who setup cost can get anywhere in the thousands, then that's the market you want to advertise in terms of oak.

R

ronrca

Yes, pine would of been much cheaper however I was not thinking of selling in the first place but made it to match our china cabinet and dining room set which is also oak. They match very nicely. I wanted to make it look like furniture therefore did not want to go into pine.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I've a cherrywood 75/90G stand right now, finished like furnerature, and has a matching canopy. Cost is upwards $500, the canopy is $250.  Beautiful piece, a little dark (I'm a pine/oak finish myself actually, I find dark rooms disturbing) but it does make it look like a cabinate. You could prbably sell at $700-$900 and have a higher clientel range. Certainly a beginner or "weekend" hobbiest wouldn't dream of spending that much money. But the really rich folk...now there is a nice clientel to deal with... Especially if you could get contracts from companies that do primarily custom work and such.

I also love those pieces that are built as if part of a complete wall bookcase or something. Those are truely nice, with the columns on the sides and everything. *sigh* Whenever I win the lottery...
~~Colesea

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
:-*

Ronrca,

Well, not looking to purchase the stand, just the plans (material list, measurements, basic assembly). Not sure that I would make it out of oak, although yours sure looks nice. If you don't have plans, or can't put something together, ah well...just thought I would ask. But I bet you would find quite a few buyers for $20.00 or $25.00 a pop...and would probably do good on ebay too! ;)

Kevin

R

ronrca

I'll look for the plans and get back to you. Your not really serious that you would pay up to [glow=red,2,300]$25[/glow] for the plans????!!!! If so, I'll look even harder for the plans.  ;D