my african dwarf frog

Sep 4, 2005
isnt moving a whole lot, he just hides under some decor and only pokes his head out every now and then. He also doesnt seem to be eating a whole lot (i feed him frozen bloodworms). Any tips on feeding and is the lack of activity normal?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's normal for them to spend a lot of time not doing very much. What else is in the tank with him? How much are you expecting him to eat? Two or three bloodworms is probably enough. Some people feed their frogs with long tweezers so they can dangle the worms in front of their faces.

Sep 4, 2005
he looks like hes eating maybe 1/2 to 1 bloodworm every couple days. Hes in the tank with 3 neon tetras (soon to be 7 or 8), 2 apple snails, and 2 ghost shrimp, so besides the lil shrimp eating some of the food theres no competition, and there doesnt seem to be anything in the tank that could scare him

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
The article is in my signature.

As for activity levels, they don't do that much. Occassionally they'll go darting about the tank or will do weird Yoga-esque positions, but mainly they just hang out. They also tend to be more active at night.

Something that could explain his constant hiding is if there are strong lights on the tank or near it. They get skittish in very bright light if there is nowhere to hide.

1/2 -1 bloodworm is not adequate. Something is up there.

How long have you had him? What are your water parameters? How long has he been like that?

Sep 4, 2005
ive had him for only a week, waters clean and all the other animals in it are doing fine, i also found his skin, so maybe that was why cuz he ate 2 worms today, no activity but atleast i know he will live.

FisheyLisa

Large Fish
May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
I have a tankfull of bottom feeders, so frog eating is competitive- if the food even hits the bottom. I had 2 die. I have 2 now that I think I will be removing from the tank to feed (sorry Leo, i know this is stressful, but all my other fish are way fat!)...point is you have to be really patient with the feeding. I use a turkey baster, the frogs go right to it, take a gulp, you have to wait for them to swallow before another...

If your frog is eating so little you probably want to try daily feedings or twice daily of 1 worm. It seems stressed if it isn't eating. You probalby have to do something that Leo suggested. Also have you tried different foods? BLood worms are mine's fav, but they also like brine shrimp.

Mine usually float at the top, "play" or accidentally fall into the wild ride of the filter current, try to grab onto fish fins it thinks is food, or chill at the bottom. They get really active and swim everywhere when I feed them- usually in the evening. They try and eat everything that floats by, and jump into the fish frenzie at feeding time. Other times they look dead. having more than one would probably boost the activity of your frog and once you get it comfortable in the tank too...it may take a week or 2 for it to settle into it's new home.

Sep 4, 2005
Mine seems fine and eating a normal amount now, i have a 3 quart "betta carrier" that i dont use, so i just put the frog in that and dump a few worms in that, thanks for all the help guys