my 20gal planted.

Cyberfish

Large Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Here's my 20 gallon planted tank. Set this up about 3 months ago.

Specs:
=====
-dimensions: 24"Lx16"Hx12"W
-lighting: 1x15w aqua-glo fluor bulb, 2x 13W PC(6400K and 5000K) 12 hr duration
-substrate: flourite
-filtration: aquaclear 150 with sponges
-diy co2 shot into filter intake
-heater: 150W submersible heater set at 78F. Would like a smaller heater but this was what I had.
-fertlization: was dosing 1ml of seachem flourish after weekly 25% water change, but have recently stopped due to algae. Might try adding pottassium soon.

livestock:
====
-8x harlequin rasboras
-6x cardinal tetras
-4x oto cats
-1x siamese algae eater (small)
-9x amano shrimps
-malaysian livebearer/trumpet snails

Still looking to add a nice pair of german blue rams and a school of pygmy corydoras...*sigh*

plants:
=====
-java moss
-java ferns(regular and windelov)
-pygmy chain swords(e. tenellus)
-anubias bateri var. nana
-dwarf sags(sag. subulata)
-crytocoryne wendtii "Mi Oya"

Although the chain swords have sent out numerous runners and still growing, the older leaves are dieing at a rather fast pace...:( Hopeing the pottassium fertilization will help.

full view:

close up: too bad my camera doesn't have the option to change shutter speed and the fish won't stand still :(

windelov java fern growing on a piece of mopani driftwood.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
WOW! You have a kick ass tank. I love the choice in fish too. The java moss on the log looks great too. Awesome tank.

- depthC

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
that's very nice. I'm planning to do a 20G myself very soon. looks much bigger than 20G. How did you get the moss and fern to grow on the wood? you just place them on the wood and let them grow on their own? i never had experience with moss or ferns much.

the bottom left, is that moss too? where abouts do you live? i cant find any moss in california, any ideas or suggestions where i can order moss from?

co2, where can i get the co2 DIY guidelines? i have no idea where to place the co2 etc, or even how to build it.

Cyberfish

Large Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
thanks

Just tie the moss/ferns down using sewing string, fishing line, elastic bands etc. Give it a month or tow and the plants will attach itself than you can remove the string.

Maybe you can ask your lfs to order some for you. If not many online stores carry it. You can always try www.aquabid.com, it's like an ebay for aquarium stuff. But be warned, shipping is expensive!

DIY sugar/yeast co2 is very simple. Just do a search on google and you'll find lots of sites with info on it. I just shoot the co2 into my aquaclear filter. You can see the airline tubing going into the filter intake in the second pic.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
Nice tank. I like the grassy effect you got going with the sag. I had a wideleaf sag that turned white and died. I have 96w on a 30 gallon tank with CO2. I was a little dissapointed. Good luck with the fertilization. If you have success, post what you used.

Cyberfish

Large Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
do you mean the hagen reactor dgodwin? the thing that looks like a ladder. I don't see how a bubble counter will affect the rate of co2 diffusion. From all accounts it does look effective.

yeah shooting into the filter works, when I start off a new batch of diy co2, the plants start pearling including the java moss.

Cyberfish

Large Fish
Feb 20, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
yay, got my rams..:D The pair looked like they were ready to breed at the store, and sure enough they started breeding a day after I placed them in my tank. Unfortunately the male didn't know what to do, and instead of fertilizing the eggs, he ate them*crazysmil oh well.:rolleyes:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Beutiful Rams! And Beutiful Tank!
Wish LFS here would get some Rams in. Bought their last one 6 months ago, and I hear the same thing every week, " We might get some in next week." Yeah ok, Let me hold my breath for it! LOL