My 20 gallon african tank

exodon

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2003
western canada
www.myfishtank.ca
One of the most common things people do is provide fish with proper landscapes.
Psychologically, fish need the sense of safety and security. Wide open spaces tend to stress fish and force them into hiding behind the smallest spaces. ( Not always tho.)
Its actually oppsosite of what we think, that is, the more places you give your fish to hide, the less the actually will hide cuz the feel safe. They don't have to travel far to get into cover, should they become intimidated. Perhaps you could put in a few logs, caves, and perhaps some peices of coral or plastic plants.
Not that your fish doesn't look good, but you may be surprised in the changes that take place.

Godd luck

Exodon

kimbo

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2003
USA
Visit site
Hansha, there's only 1.5 to 2 inches :) But I plan on setting up a more natural, planted tank. So no more blue gravel. I'll be getting natural color substrate.

exodon , I've noticed he is more shy when hiding places are available. The tank is in the basement and away from traffic, sunlight, doors opening, etc. The only interaction he has is feeding time. I think I have conditioned him to be pretty open to people. Whenever someone gets near the tank he shoots to the surface waiting to be fed.

ArkyLady

Medium Fish
Jun 20, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
Looks much better! I'm not too fond of the wild colored substrates personally. Are those rocks stacked up in the corner stable? Looks like a possible disaster waiting to happen from the picture. Not sure I like that planted background in a rock/sand tank. You might try just using a plain black (or dark blue) background instead. From what I've read you can't really do much with plants in a cichlid tank, so I think the light colored rocks/sand with a dark solid color background would really make things stand out. Ever see that holey rock? Very nice looking stuff!

http://www.holeyrock.com/

Looks really great so far! Good job. Keep us updated as you add more decorations and fish :)

kimbo

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2003
USA
Visit site
The blue gravel was only temporary. I actually had a bare bottom before that. This is my first experience with sand and I plan on replacing the river rocks with slate, limestone, drainage rocks, or granite. I like the holey rocks too!

The rocks in the corner are stable. They're leaning up against the glass. Even if the sand was dug out from under them they'd remain stable.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Great tank! My only suggestions have already been said: More rocks and maybe a different background. Are you going to add anymore fish? Just wondering. Not saying that you should cause I have no idea how big that one gets and how mean he/she/it is.

kimbo

Medium Fish
Aug 2, 2003
USA
Visit site
It won't get much bigger, it's already close to 5 inches. 4-6 inches is the max. they are somewhat aggressive, especially towards females of their own species. I'm not planning on getting another fish any time soon. But I want to try a female for breeding eventually.

stuey

New Fish
May 10, 2010
blue acara

Very blue as well :) It's a beautful fish, though. It seems like you have a very thick layer of gravel. Perhaps you could take a couple inches out?
hello im new to this site and fish i have a green terror and a blue acara the other day my blue and green terror mated and have eggs dos that usely happen please can someone tell me
:rolleyes: