MY 12 Gallon Eclipse Mod Story *PICS*

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I got a 12 gallon eclipse given to me. I decided with no experience, to make it a nano reef. I had some rough times and learned what not to do with a reef tank but now 6 months later my tank is in great shape.

the first picture is of the tank totally stock with what I thought was live rock but came to find out was base rock. which I later changed.

Same tank with stock lighting

After 3 months and no correct cycle. I realized it was the wrong rock and I purchased a few pounds of very good LR. I broke down the whole tank and started over.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
The next thing I did was all my mods to the tank. I pulled out the stock filter and lights I added a koralia nano powerhead on one side and a penguin powerhead on the other facing eachother and the top of the water.

This is what I did to the back of the tank. I added a small penguin 125 HOB filter. I also added a RIO nano skimmer which is really good giving me a full cup of skimmate daily.I also added a fan for the lighting in the center.

This is the lighting mod. Its a sunpaq retrofit kit 50/50 96 watt quad bulb.

It has been almost 6 months since the tank has been started and this is what it looks like now :)

Full tank

xenia

Green feather duster

Polyps

Small Xenia patch

My friend who works at a LFS gave me some stray polyps from the bottom of their reef tanks and they are popping up all over and attaching to my rock and spreading

Last edited: