Multi-Tank Filtration System

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
After seeing Discus-Hans' wall o' tanks and deciding that I want to do some serious breeding, I realized that having some type central filtration system with drilled tanks is the best way to go. (long enough sentance?) So, as usual, all advice and ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
IMO one of the biggest draw backs to a central filtration system is the fact that they all share the same water, and if some kind of sickness breaks out in one tank, it may very well end up in all the tanks.

But for large multi-tank setups it can be very efficient and easier to maintain than individual filters, so the good can out weigh the bad. They can be a pain to setup, but once everything is going it seems to get easier. You can do water changes all at once from the large sump, add any additives if you need to and so on.

How to go about it? Words can only help so far. You need to get in touch with someone who would be willing to allow you to check out their system for your self. I'd say you'd learn a whole lot more that way as you can see everything in action, what you like, what you don't like, and where you want to take your own system. You might ask nice and see if anyone around you would help ;) Check out: GCAS.ORG - Welcome . Good bunch of people, and could probably find someone close to get an idea. HTH.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Thanks Orion. I am going to one of our larger breeder/LFS this weekend. They are talking about closing down and the son is very egar to teach. We have been getting things from them as they get them torn down. If the location wasn't so bad, I would buy it. But I will learn everything I can from them. I will also check out GCAS.ORG site as well.

thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I agree that you should try to get a walk-through from someone with a system. It definitely helps. There are many, many ways to set up multi-tank systems. Some of the simplest use a central air line (with a really big air pump). So, they basically all run off the same air, but water never circulates among the tanks.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Bunker, IMO the fact that they all share the same water is a bigger problem than is being pointed out. Disease can run through a fish room like there is no tomorrow. Taking out everything in it's path. I've had it happen, I've seen it happen, and know many others that have had it happen. Certain diseases spread bad enough through a fish room that don't have centralized filtration. Why give it a helping hand.

Also when your looking at breeding the fish you have to make changes to the water chemistry of the tanks. Every set of breeding fish may not be on the same schedule. Meaning your going to inherently have tanks with different PH needs. This is impossible to achieve if they all share the same water.

Thirdly, cost is an issue. I don''t know your financial situation and it's none of my business. But few have an unlimited supply of cash for such ventures. And having a centralized air delivery system to run air filters (box and sponge) in all the tanks is pretty inexpensive. And allows for each tank to be it's own closed system.

In a breeding situation your changing enough water to not really need much mechanical filtration. This also makes for the argument of not having a centralized filtration system.

If you do still plan on going that rout make sure you invest in a quality UV lamp for your return line. It will be your only line of defense against the spread of disease.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Great advice pure. I know the one I am going to look at this weekend does what you are taling about. He just uses a large air pump that splits to all of his tanks. I am doing this now with a couple of my fry tanks and just wanted to know if there was a better way. And since I got the 3 big hitters saying the same thing, how could I argue??

Thanks guys