Mudskipper?

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Is it ok to put mudskippers in freshwater only tank? I just bought one today and the guy from the LFS said he had them in a really low salinity tank anyway and it should be fine.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
They are a brackish "fish" and need a mangrove type setup.

mudskipper Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Plants:
Mangroves are the obvious choice for this tank. They should be planted on the edge of the water and on the land section. As for aquatic plants, since most are not readily available, plastic plants are best but you could try Java Moss, Java Fern, Cryptocorne Bekketti, Hairgrass, and Vallisneria.

Temperature:
82-86 F

pH Level:
7.5-8.5

Decoration:
The usage of tree root ornaments would be ideal in this setup. Many mangroves and partially subdued lighting will make this tank more realistic. These swamps usually also have floating plants covering the surface but most of these plants are not available commercially (although you could try java moss).

Salt:
Around 3 tablespoons of marine salt per gallon of water or a specific gravity of 1.010-1.015 will be adequate for the full lives of these fish

Got any pics????? :D

Last edited:

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Hes in my 45 gallon community tank right now. You think he will be ok in there overnight? Im probably gonna take him back tommorow. I have an extra ten gallon but no filter. Should i just add 1 teaspoon aquarium salt per gallon and put him in there? I have the lights off to reduce stress so ill some pics tommorow for u f8. Damn scumbag LFS guy, cant wait to go there tomorrow and tear
him a new one.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmmmm. Well, "aquarium salt" isn't what makes brackish water, it's made from "marine salt" like Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, etc.

I bet, since he has evidently been in freshwater, he will be ok just overnight. But... that guy at the LFS should better inform himself about the salinity needs of mudskippers, cos that little guy will perish back at the store and so will future mudskippers there :(.

Sorry. What a bummer for you. They really seem like neat little fellas, it would be a neat "wet pet" to have with the right conditions.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
well my mudskipper bit the dust last night. It's to bad because I was actually
going to setup a mangrove tank for him today but he didnt last the night. I took him back to the LFS this morning to get my money back and even the scumbag manager tried to tell me they first start out in fresh water and can survive fine in it and that I couldnt get my money back. Then i started to get angry and after about a minute of yelling at him he gave me my money back.

Farewell little mudskipper, I hardly knew ye