More fish?

Drew511

Small Fish
Jan 26, 2006
New Jersey
i have a 20g tank and i was debating on whether or not more fish would be too much. Right now i have in there:

2 zebra danios
2 blue gouramis
1 pleco
1 rainbow shark

i was also wondering if short and long tailed danios can mate because i have 1 of each and they seem pretty friendly and every once and a while the long tailed ones stomach gets really big

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'd say you're pretty near full. You probably have room for some more danios (3-4 more); they like to be in groups, and they'll be in the top/middle of your tank. You might eventually have to trade in or move the pleco if it grows too big for that tank (which it will if it's a common pleco).

The "fat" danio is a female, they get full of eggs and thin up when they're laid. If they're both zebra danios or both leopard danios, they can probably breed because I think the long-finned varieties are just variations of the same species. I'm fairly sure leopards and zebras can't interbreed (didn't work for me). Unless you specifically try to breed them, you'll never see eggs/fry because both are so tiny that anything can and will gobble them up.

Drew511

Small Fish
Jan 26, 2006
New Jersey
thanks yea i didnt notice that the pleco and shark got that big. i was new and didnt do my homework. i was thinking of either adding for zebra danios or some cardinal tetras nothing really big

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think the shark and/or gouramis may go after little tetras like that. You've got a semi-aggressive tank going on, you shouldn't add anything little and peaceful. Plus, you don't really have room for another school, you'd do much better to make the danios into a larger school (5-6).