Mom And I Talked About Something

Well I posted that my mom said I can set up a 5g for her. Well We got rid of alot of stuff and we have room for a 20L(36" of room). I still wanted to go with a SA theme and I have a little more room to do so. I was thinking of some tetras, catfish, and a cichlid. Here is my plan(please tell me if you feel it may not work).

Lighting: Looking at around 3wpg
Substrate: Eco-Conplete
Flora: HC, Pennywort(cant think of any others)
Fauna: 1 Angelfish, 7 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 4 Albino Corys
CO2: Pressurized

I want it simple and pleasing and that is why I chose something like this. Anyone think this is pushing the limits? I am not very skilled when it comes with cichlids and that is why I ask.

Last edited:

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
your mom may not go for it, but isnt the 20L the same footprint as the 29? that would give you a lot more space.

either way, i think an angel sounds great! good luck, keep us posted!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
20L, 29, 39(36?) all have the same footprint. Remember that the higher the tank gets the harder it is to clean and maintain it. i.e. siphoning the gravel in my 29 is a pain, always get my hands wet.

Unless you want a short tank (plenty of reasons why you would) I would go for the 29 gal. I just bought a 29 for my daughter and it was $10 more then the 20 gal right next to it. That would give a lot more verticle room for the Angel, and much more room for plants.

Just curious: Are you sure you want to go to the expense of Presurized CO2 as opposed to just a Sugar-Mix container?

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
A 20 gallon is to small for an angel. I recently had a juvi altum angel in my 20 gallon tall and he would attack all the fish in the tank. I just moved him and all his tankmates to a 45 gallon a couple days ago and his aggression immediately stopped. If you want a cheap tank, def use craigslist. I got my whole setup for $70.

I was rethinking the Angel idea and even my mom pointed out it may be too squished. SDo I came up with another idea for cichlids in this tank but still stay planted.

Pair Rams/Apistos/Checkerboards(Need to look into on where to get some)
10 Serpaes or Emperor Tetras(Both are readily available here now lol)
4 Panda Corys or 1 Rubberlip Pleco(as these are relatively cheap locally)

I think this would be really nice looking and entertaining.Where it will be going I would not want to chance the 29g as I would have to get on a stool for me to do a wc. Also I just think this would provide me with a sese of how to scape a longer tank before jumping into a larger one. I want this to be fairly simple to keep up so I am going to be reading up on Pressurized CO2 and what the cichlids mainly need as far as cave, driftwood, whatever. Just so everything is smooth have many get away points in the case of aggression from the cichlids.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Sounds like it will be a nice set up. I think you'll be happy with the 20 long. When I was researching for a new tank, I got advise from this site to go with a long. Not only is it good for the lighting reaching the plants better, but the height makes for ease of cleaning. It was good adivse.

Can't wait to see your progress!