Mixing cichlids?

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
Hey guys,

Just a quick question about cichlids, is it safe to mix white knights, cobalt blue and peacocks into the same tank (they are all approximately the same size) ? I was told that although cichlids have a common reputation of being agressive... these three were known to be pretty pleasent.

And one more 'myth" hehe is it true that by crowding the cichlids it will prevent them from being too territorial?

Thanks a lot

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Your cobalt blue (zebra) may pose problems, as it may be very aggressive to your others. You really need a 75G tank for the Knights they get pretty big. Its not that over crowding stops aggressiveness, it prevents one or two fish from being picked on and stressed to death. Shoot for about a 25% overstock scenario for African cichlids but not other cichlids really. The zebra is not a good idea, you can try but be sure you have a home for him if he does not work out.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
In my opinion, overstocking is a great way to spread out aggression. I have three cobalt blue zebras in my african tank. They fight with each other and dont seem to bug any other of the fish in the tank. I do see them chase some of the small fish around, but they get away in the crowd. One thing about overstocking, make sure you have enough filtration to maintain a healthy tank. Africans are pretty messy.