Missing Pectoral Fin? HELP!

ksrowe8

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2003
Eagle-Vail, CO
www.myspace.com
My female betta has recently lost her right pectoral fin...(where I don't know, I'm assuming a loach in my community tank). Since then I have put her into a 1/2 gal. betta bowl with BettaMax. Is this the recommended thing to do? Will the fin grow back? Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
not too much can repair a missing fin.but if there is any remaning filaments of the fin there is a slight chance it may regrow back some fin,but not all.bettamax is a great product and i use it myself.yes i would use this to help heal your betta,but try it at half strength.after such a tramatic injury as a lost fin full strength meds. may be more stressful then helpful.if the betta pulls through the first week or two try going full strenght andfollow the instructions.what kind of other inhabitants are in your tank?i know loches can be very rough but a whole fin thats a mean loach!i have read some studies on fin regeneration and it i possible but there must be some fin remaining to regrow.well good luck this is going to be tough.let me know how it turns out

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
good man.already beat me to the punch.so what kind of loach do you have?my yoyos are real fiesty but never aggresive in the sense that they do damage,just maintaining territory.usualy skunks are the villan of common loaches

ksrowe8

Small Fish
Feb 1, 2003
Eagle-Vail, CO
www.myspace.com
Black Kuli Loaches....I think it was them. She had jumped out of the tank during feeding one day and was hanging around the bottom for a few days. It happened shortly after that. I do also have ghost shrimp but I've never seen them be aggresive. And I'm sure she could outswim them...but not the loaches.

Mar 11, 2003
Loaches tend to get aggressive as they age. And usually bigger too. I just visited a pet store that had 6 inch clown loaches! Loaches and bettas together are a no-no. The actions you are taking seem good. Good luck!

Alexa