Metal Halide

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am a soon to be owner of an 80-90 gallon freshwater aquarium, and I need a good source of lighting. I have read about metal halide, and I'm looking at this Coralife Metal Halide/Flourescent Combo light fixture. The thing is that it cost over $500! Without bulbs! This seems like alot to spend on lighting, and I was wondering if its worth it. That is almost as much as I'm spending on the aquarium/stand/filters itself. Any info or suggestions would be apreciated. Thanx.

Justin

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well here in California, MH burns up a lot of money because it is very high wattage.  If you are going to going with saltwater setup, definitely consider MH.  However, since you are interested in freshwater, you should go for compact fluorescent because it's more energy efficient and cheaper than MH, IMO.  To save even more money, some people use cheap shop lights.  All of this really depends on what you plant to have in your aquarium and your total plans?  Any plants?  what and how many fishes?  how much you willing to spend?  Going for open top aquarium or closed top (canopy)

R

ronrca

MH is considered the 'best' lighting because of the full spectrum that is hard to find in fluorescent tubes. MH however has some disadvantages, one that you have already experienced, cost. Another is heat. MH give off lots of heat therefore it is best to have MH externaly mounted like from your ceiling. I recommend that if you can afford it and remotely mount it, go for it. IMO, it is a better light source than flourescent tubes.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've used metal halides on numerous occaisions for my reef tanks. Go to the Hydroponics store, I can get a barebones kit (any wattage between 75 and 400) with an upgraded bulb for about $150 Canadian, and with my electric and carpentry skills I can create a decent canopy with two lights for around $350 canadian. On planted tanks I use high pressure sodium, the light is quite orange, but the growth is much higher. You don't need to keep the hps or mh lighting on for the full 12-14 hours tho, on my planted tank I used it for four hours a day, then for the rest of the time I kept it on ~ 1 watt a gallon.

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
To answer some questions:

-Yes I plan to have many live plants (I want to set up an Amazon biotype aquarium).
-Cost is not considered yet (I am 16, and I yet to have a job!).
-I want a closed-top (canopy).
-I plan on making it a predator tank.

Does this help?

Also:

This Coralife combo light setup has a fan for the high heat, and does not hang from the ceiling. Anybody have experience with this product?

Justin

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
In my opinion metal halide is too expensive. I think for your tank you could go with some flourescent bulbs. That would be the best thing I think. I have them on my 29 gallon and I keep plants and they are doing great. I bet your tank will be awsome. Is this your first tank? ;D

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This isn't my first tank, I have a 30 and a 20 gallon going right now. Ive tried keeping plants in each with little to no success. I read about metal halide, and talked to alot of aquarium fanatics and it all seems to point to metal halide being the best for my tank. I would really like to be able to keep live plants successfully. But it seems so tedious and complicated.

Justin

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes that's how it seemed to me also. I always got the impression that it was very hard to keep live plants and then one day I just bought some. I put them in my tank and they lasted for about a month growing and looking great and so I bought some more and now my tank has real plants and looks great. I havn't ever added CO2 or fertilizer except for some little plant spikes. As long as you get the right plants you can be successful just know your tank, water conditions, inhabitants & enviroment. ;D