melafix cannot save my little green tiger barb!

Oct 22, 2002
i have 3 tiger barbs, 2 green tiger barbs, 2 platyz 3 tetra... about a month ago, i put one sick tiger barb wiz one green tb together, the sick one died
but GTB is still alive, but the color of it is lighter than my other greentb. it looks like its body is a little bit brown in a part... n its tail is not orange. the color kinda faded... it has been like this for a very long time but it is still alive... n i had used "melafix" "antiacterial remedy for the treactment of aquarium fish diseases... n it says " rapidly repairs damaged fins open wounds, use when introducing new fish...etc...   i had used it for a wk and 2 days already, but that gtb is still "faded color"... so i quit using that thing for a while... n wait n see
but it is still like that!! should i keep using it?

R

ronrca

Re: melafix cannot save my little green tiger barb

Sometimes its not a disease/bacteria/parasite. Sometimes is the conditions that the fish are in; bad water conditions, lack of quality food, lack of vitamins, not enough friends (schooling fish), not enough cover, too crowded, too small space etc. School fish particuarly need 6+. Because GTB is by itself, that just might be the problem.

Oct 22, 2002

:'( i have 2 tiger barbs only...  :'( +6?!?! o my god! i have other 3 tiger barbs n 2 platys.. also 3 tetra... all of them r skooling fish... o no...

my new tank is 15gallon.. will it be enough room for me to get few more green tiger barbs?? or... juz n e kinda of barbs will be fine for them?

R

ronrca

15G is a little small for 6 barbs. I had mine in a 30G.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio

Well, depending on which stocking rule you go on. Like if you put the one inch per one gallon rule and the tiger barbs are 2 inches each you could but it would be a little crowded. But, you could do many water changes if you have the time and patience to do so many.Your tastes might lead you to the other way too like when you LxWxH= then you would divide then product by 24 and i don't think you could put that many in there. It all depends on your stocking rule though. 8)

R

ronrca

Its not only a stocking rule but what the fish are like. Example: A 2" betta has different requirements than a tiger. Tigers are much more active and need more swimming room. The 1"-1G rule is not a rule but a guideline and I would add a minimum guide line. Another example: A 2" neon compared to a 2" Tiger. A neon is much slimmer than a tiger. And what about a 2" discus. Id rather under stock than overstock.

R

ronrca

Yes! Like I mentioned before, it is only a minimum guideline but it does not necessarily apply to all fish. There are many different species of fish and all have different shall we say "needs". A neon and a tiger barb the same size do need different swimming space. Those that have had neons and tigers would agree that neons are not nearly as active as tiger barbs therefore requiring more swimming space which means a bigger tank. Not only the lenght of the fish should be considered but also the width. A classic example is discus and I know that Joe will agree. A tiger barb and a discus of similar size should not be and cannot measure up to the same requirements. It really does come down to the characteristics of the fish (active/agressive/peaceful etc). You can stock more peaceful fish together than agressive fish. Therefore the 1"-1G 'rule does not work very well IMO. I have a book the using surface area to calculate number of fish. I cant remember the numbers but I will maybe write an article about it.

Oct 22, 2002

;D thz ppl!!!  umm... i had juz moved my barbs n platyz to my 15 gallon tank from the 10 one... since i stupidly crack the 10g tank..  :-[ so... i moved my fish in such hurry without cycleing... :'( :'( :'( so the water is VERY cloudy...  :eek: but my barbs look very happy in their new bigger tank! ;D  and they do swim around the tank. very active!  ;D ;D ;D