Maracyn consumption lead to dead ELB ?

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well yesterday i did a water change in my 10g and noticed my BGA was getting worse so i decided to dose it with 1/4 of the recomended tablet for a 10g because it wasnt that bad and when it was i only used half a tablet and it worked just fine.

Well anyways i noticed my fish messing with it and thought nothing of it because it was safe for fish and plants. Well im not sure if it was the Maracyn but when i looked in the tank after the lights turned on the next day i saw a ELB dead in the gravel. Was this the maracyn or another cause? All the other fish are healthy and the ELB's are showing great color so Im blaming this death on the maracyn unless somone can come up with anther cause.

- depthC

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I've used maracyn with my fish without trouble. Even the cories occassionally mess with it, and they're still alive.

But maracyn is an erythomyacine (sp? too lazy to look it up) derivative, and erytho is a bacterial-static drug, ie prevents bacteria from growing and dividing. It might be possible that ingestion of maracyn upset the natural gut flora of your fish, causing a possible septic death if an overdose occured. But I have never heard of it happening to fish before. In rabbits yes, their gut flora is extremly sensitive, but not in a fish.

Like Revfred said, if the rest of the fish are okay, then I'd just chalk this death up as possible maracyn overdoes, but more likely idiopathic. Are you sure it is the same ELB that bothered the maracyn that was dead?
~~Colesea

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
No im not sure if that particular fish was messing with the maracyn. But i dont see anyother way it could of died. I look at most of my fish everyday just to see if they are alright and the ELB's were fine so i dont no.

- depthC