mandarin fish

Feb 7, 2005
i have a 12g nano cube that's been running for 3 months now. everything is ok but i'm just worried bout my mandarin. he seems to be getting thinner. r there other foods besides the copepods in my tank that he will eat( i think the copepod population is on the brink of extinction!). pls help..thanks

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
there are very few other food items mandarins will eat...generally this is why people keep them in very large systems. one option is to farm copeopds in a refugium, other than that you are pretty well SOL

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Mandarins usually need to be kept in a bigger aged system. Without copepod(im sure there are like none in your tank) they will slowly starve to death. Once and a while mandarins might eat live brine shrimp or cyclopeez...but like Camaro said a refugium is your best bet. In the mean time I would bring it back to the store.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Live brine is a poor option as it's so nutritionally poor. Unless you can introduce extra copepods, flatwoms or similar you'll be very lucky to keep it going. Most never take flake or frozen foods, as I'm sure you know.

Feb 7, 2005
i've been feeding my tank with cyclop-eeze for my rbta & clownfish. i dunno if my mandarin takes it as well. i guess i have to make some sort of a refugium at the back compartments of my nano cube with the hope of introducing copepods. do u guys have any idea how i can introduce them? what sort of things do i need to put? thanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I find it hard to believe your mandarin is plucking cyclopeeze out of the water column, so if it's getting any, it will be what it finds on the substrate/live rock.
I find it hard to believe you'll have enough space in your tank to keep enough live rock to keep your manadarin going. The volume of refugium required to keep enough pods going to feed the guy will likely take up most, if not all of the tank. You have 3 options
1.Buy pods, or attach a large enough refugium, which is likely a 10 gallon.
2. Return fish to larger tank (either yours or elsewhere)
3. Starve it to death, which is what you're doing now.

There is a guy in the book Ultimate Marine Aquria who has 3 or 4 similar dragonettes in a 40 gallon, however if you look at his setup, it is a dream for them, with a LOT of live rock ,and a gallon refugium I tihnk, and even then he doesn't recommend it.

Feb 7, 2005
yup. option 1 is the thing i'm gonna do coz i found a site to buy pods & i'll be culturing them which the site by the way has instructions on how to so in that way i'll be able to have pods in my nano.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
If your interested in some reading on the Mandarinfish I saw an artical in the "Marine Fish and Reef USA 2005 annaul" magazine; Actually they made the cover. Nice looking fish, but very hard to keep.(so i've heard, I only have a 40 gal and I wouldn't even think of putting one in this small a tank) Hope all works out for you, but I would really re-think having one in that small of a tank. It's definatly not in the fishes best interest to do so.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I truly fail to believe your tank has enough real estate to grow enough pods long term. You need more real estate for the refugium.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Having looked at your tank your only hope i.m.o. is to buy pods every week. That tank is very unlikely to sustain that fish by itself. Not enough enviroment for a significant pod growth.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Where will you culture them - your tank is only barely larger than my refugium and I doubt I produce enoguh to feed a mandarin long term from that

Feb 7, 2005
i got a 20 gal to culture them. from where i'm buying the pods they said that'll be enough to culture them. so far i've got a pod growth at the back of my tank from the first 3 bottles i bought.(he's been good enough to sell those 3 bottles for only $25 plus shipping).