Male Platy Always Follows One Female Around, Platies won't mate with each other?

Feb 21, 2011
Okay, so I have a tank with four platy males, and I don't think one is sexually mature yet. I also have some fry in a maturation net in the tank, and then I have eight females. The oldest male NEVER leaves the oldest female's side. They're both Red Wags, and I got them together, so do you think they developed some kind of connection? He doesn't try to mate with her (unless he's mating at night, I don't monitor them for those 12 hours), all he does is follow her everywhere. Also, he chases off the other males that try to come near her. It's almost as if he set some kind of claim to her.:confused:
I really don't know what to do, if anything. He's such a strong-looking and tough platy, I wish he would mate with the other females. The two other males don't seem too attracted to them, they mostly just try to get laid by the female that the oldest one follows around, despite him protecting her.
:confused:
I'm trying to let the cycle of nature take place with females getting pregnant and males mating with them. My ratio is 3(well, technally 4 but like i said one's too young) to 8, which is fine by my standards, but they just won't do it!
BTW, the female who's being followed around is pregnant, most likely from an earlier batch of sperm.
My stats (nitrite, ph, nitrate) are all fine according to a post I read, but I'm not sure how knowing that would help my situation.
Please help, if you can, and sorry for the long post. :)

P.S. Tried raising temp., feeding a variety of foods, using high quality food and such, but still nothing.