Lucky Bamboo

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
A friend of mine was sold some dracaena sanderiana, also known as "lucky bamboo" by our LFS a few months ago. As most of you probably know, this plant is often sold as an aquatic plant, but in fact isn't, and hers is starting to rot. I know the obvious answer is to remove it from the tank, but she seems to like it and I was wondering if this was a feasible idea for keeping it.

The research I've done seems to say that its okay for the roots to be under water, as long as part of the plant is in contact with the air. Does this mean that its able to survive planted in a 55 gallon fish tank as long as the stalks have grown tall enough to be out of the water? That would still mean that most of the plant is underwater, but will just a few inches at the top be enough in contact with the air to keep the underwater bits from rotting? I've read that it grows pretty fast, so does it make sense to plant it in a regular pot for a while and let it get like two feet tall, then put it back into the tank?

I had some bamboo, but it wasn't called "lucky bamboo" and I have no idea if that's some mass produced type because I hear a lot of people not having luck with it -- ironic?! Anyway, I had three stalks that were out of the water enough, with roots planted in and they did just fine. They didn't grow crazy, just grew a lot of leaves and the roots did not turn into a chaotic mess. They're actually now just in a water filled vase because I like them but didn't want them in the tank.

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
Bamboo grows really fast but lucky bamboo is actually not bamboo, it's a lily. It will grow fine in water as long as the leafy bits are in the open air.

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
what about bamboo stalks?
i purchased some bamboo stalks recently and im wondering if theyre going to change the water quality in my tank.
you know those stalks you purchase around chinese new year with the twists in them? no leaves. are they technically dead already? and if so...are they going to pollute my tank?