low foreground plant ideas

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a few different kinds of crypts in front, but it needs something more, what do you guys have? I've got a few different swords in the middle area and some different vals to fill the back row. It looks very full and green, i need some colors in there. Any suggestions?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
if you have enough light and c02...i say go for some glossostigma. i had it going for a bit...(i got them as stems..but i planted them sideways) but unfortunately..i lost most to algae. but i'm starting over..so slowly but surely...

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't have any co2...i just can't be stuffed with it. My plants look great without it and i don't mind waiting for them to grow shoots or anything like that :)

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
i too recommend glossostigma... but i'm not sure how it'll do w/o co2.. i've heard that it does much better with co2.

other than that, you can try e. tenellus (grows really fast) or lilaeopsis... not sure what microsword refers to though...

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
Cathy Hartland ( http://www.nfis.com/~hartland/aqua/aquaria.html ) has a crypt petchii in her 5.5 gallon.. a really nice variety with redish/pinkish colours.  Not all crypt petchii's will have that colour combination.. mine is only green-bronze..

there aren't too many (if there are at all) low foreground plants that aren't green (other than crypts).

have you considered adding driftwood to your aquarium?  maybe that can give you some reddish-brown colour to the foreground

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a large peice of driftwood that has java moss and java fern attached. I bought some red and yellow lotus, they were so expensive, but worth it. I'll get some pictures here soon :)

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
Lotus? kool... never seen sum1 use that in an aquarium...

is your aquarium and open aquarium?  their often used in ponds since lotuses are marginal plants... sends tall flower stalks a few feet above the water surface.

Can't wait to see some pics..