Loud music near a fish tank - Bad?

Jeril

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
Greetings all.

Nearly two months ago, I got my first tank and fish and set it up in my room where I can look at it from my computer chair. Now, like most teens, I like to listen to music. Occasionally, when I'm finally pumped, emotional, whatever, I like to blast the music for short spell, usually less than 15 minutes 'cause I can't stand to have it too loud for very long. Not to the point of where it's shaking my house, mind you, but still pretty damn loud.

The other day while listening to my music at such a level, I was staring at my fish tank and it occured to me that sound travels quite well through water. I wondered if playing music loud would be stressful, harmful and overall bad for the fish? :eek: I realize that it's most likely not beneficial, but I'm wondering if my days of playing loud music have come to a complete end... *sniffles*

Anyway, thanks for your time. ^^

*Jeril

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I believe I've read that fish can't actually hear, which is logical since they have no ears. They do feel vibrations through the water quite well, however, with the help of their lateral line organ. And sound is just that - vibrations. It might be somewhat stressful for them, but shouldn't do too much harm. I tend to have music on in my room a lot too (subwoofer and everything), and the fish don't seem to be affected by it. In any case, they get used to it.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Well, all we do is feel vibrations as well, it's just that our brain turns that into what we call "sound."

Fish can feel the same vibrations (though the glass of the tank will reflect the majority of the high-end stuff (figure anything over about 1k)) through their lateral lines.

My guess is they treat it like a thunderstorm and it doesn't really bother them. I doubt a lake or river is a terribly quiet place to begin with...currents, waterfalls, rain hitting the water, etc. would all contribute to making a decent racket...

werebot

Medium Fish
May 20, 2003
Denver, CO.
Visit site
My fish seem to like most movies and hockey, but hide when I put on football, Jaws or Creature from the Black Lagoon or those type of movies.
I'm wondering if they would like Finding Nemo.
I'll let you know.
My load music doesn't seem to effect them, really. It is a pretty active tank most of the time.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
my puffer loves watching me play HALO hehehe. his tank is next to the tv and at first he couldnt see the screen. every time id play he'd ram his tank in my direction. when i finally angled the tv so he could see, hed rest on the bottom and watch the tv:D