Looking for other pacu and tiger shovelnose keepers.

I am looking for other people who have full grown pacu and tiger shovelnose catffish to compare experiences and setups. I have had to learn as I go, stealing a good many ideas from our salt water friends, and was wondering what solutions people had come up with for keeping these fish alive.

For reference here is my setup:
270 custom acrylic tank with durso standpipes
120 gallon custom acrylic sump
Bioballs/filterfloss/ancharis filtration

2x2400 gph pond pumps
1x40 watt lifeguard UV

3 x 25" pacu
1 x 28" tiger shovelnose cat
2 x trinidad pleco

hmmm..

Or have I been correct all along that people just keep them until they outgrow the 20 gallon tank, and either let them die of neglect or release them illegally in nearby ponds?

I was at the LFS the other day, and noticed the following fish:
12 pacu, a tigrinus catfish, a red tailed cat, a 4" arowana.

Now, I live in a smallish town, 30,000 people, and there can't be *THAT* many people willing to drop $3k on the size tanks that these fish will require.

Its sad really, that these fish are sold at all.
-MrBoB

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I really wish it were the case that people only bought those kinds of fish, knowing what their requirements are.

On a recent fish-store expidition, I think every store we went in had a large tank with pacus, shovelnose cats and clown knifes, all at tankbuster size.

I guess they are fish you truly have to love to be willing to provide for them. I don't know of too many on this site that have those fish.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Unfortunately you were correct all along.

I have never seen the appeal of pacu myself, however tiger shovelnoses are very nice.....

I dunno.

I actually prefer the pacu over the shovelnose, the catfish is dumb as a rock, always injuring himself by charging the intake pipes, which are 1" pvc.

The pacu work as a pack, and are very intelligent. If given enough room, they are interesting fish.

I can't decided which is more interesting to watch eat. The tiger ate an entire chicken breast the other day.. I assumed it was too large for him to swallow, and thought the pacu would tear it up. On the other hand, the other day I put some tomatos in the tank from the garden. My pacu couldn't quite get enough of the tomato in his mouth to eat it, so he picked it up in his mouth, and swam straight into the glass, smashing the tomato, which he ate instantly.

Interesting fish anyway.

Tiger Yawning
Pacu

Those shots were taken the day after a tank change, which is why they look kinda beat up.

-MrBoB

Last edited:

Evilhead

Small Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Kanzaki-cho, Japan
Visit site
Yeah, the LFS in Himeji has a little tank full of baby Tiger Shovelnose... I really really want one, but I know my wide 100 gallon won't be able to handle him after a year or so. I just hope I can find a Lima Shovelnose around here somewhere.

By the way, that's a cute picture of your Tiger Shovelnose!! It always cracks me up when fish yawn.

Last edited:

whatsmango

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2004
Hull, UK
Visit site
fraid i don't know anything about the fish in question, but just thought i'd say they are lovely, and u've inspired me to get a tiger in later life (subject to job, house, and large amounts of money at my disposal lol).