Local fish store, bad advice

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
I could do that too! that's the easy editing part i just don't want to get hit in the face. :)

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
the FW fish looked horrible and were way expensive. They were selling .75-1'' juve tiger barbs for 4.99 a piece, JOKE??? My Petsmart in NJ sells 2inch barbs for 3.99! ... Baffled by this store, it showed me good and bad
I discovered this LFS in Houston... same horrible conditions with their FW fish... Ridiculously overpriced! Ratty angelfish with their fins completely nipped off, $20, $3 for a ghost shrimp, $20 for a small anubias plant (I can easily get them for $5 at another LFS). The prices on their supplies though were ridiculously outstanding!!! This will be my new store for supplies.

BTW, here in Htown, we can typically get tiger barbs at around $1-$1.50 each. :eek:

I have an LFS in town here and they are amazing. A little over priced on equipment, but their fish conditions and prices are great. Fish are kept with compatable fish and in good quality water. They offer all types of services to help you out and a great discount program. But freaking Walmart is hurting them. But the true fish lovers go to the LFS instead keeping them afloat. I love when I order a fish through them and they must keep it for a certain period of time to make sure the fish is okay. Also people's Angelfish from there were dying soon after they got to their house, so they switched their long term supplier of angelfish, because the quality was poor and went to a more expensive supplier, but kept their same selling price.

LtGtR2

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2008
That's good to here GIANT MAN LITTLE FISH nice name! and i like your avatar, looks like it's cold but your still daring enough to wear a lumber jacks shirt, simplistic yet amazing picture haha.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Oh man I had this really funny and witty comments fo rthis thread but I REAlly need to take a few tums.... Gawd I hate it when its my turn for cooking dinner.... BRB

Atop the Austrian Alps, the snow was cold, but it was aboce sixty at the top, middle of May. Speaking of bad advice, I was at walmart tonight and heard a guy ask for ten gold fish. We got to talking and he said it was for his ten gallon tank that had a crawfish in it. He'd thought they'd make a nice addition. First, I said to him I think the crawfish will destroy the goldfish and plus if you want goldfish you need a bigger tank. the Walmart guy stared at me and said I didn't think these feeders grew more than the two inches they were. I laughed and told him I had gotten a feeder at a carnival and it lived eight years and grew to well over a foot.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Hopefully they will contact you! but i think long story short is that some people in today's society think there jobs are a joke and they don't care about anything but the money they get paid at the end of the day. So in reality everyone gives out faulty advice just to get the customer in and out so they don't have to deal with it and still get paid!
Actually, this is a Mom-and-Pop store and the people are nice, they just don't know anything about fish keeping and are in it to make money. However, in all fairness I did see the old man taking care of a baby Parakeet's feet that were caked thick with droppings from the nest.

So they're not really bad people, just ignorant.

Like I said, I wrote my email addy on business card to lend a little credibility. I'm hoping they contact me, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i work in aquatics off and on at my petland and people look at me like im stupid when i correct them. i dont think its cause im young, but probably cause im a girl...and cute so i must be dumb right?
i was offended once by someone sayin their suprised i knew the difference between male and female guppys. people suck

but anyways...many chain stores dont hire people to help customers. i know from word of mouth that petco and petsmart employees dont get paid to know about the animals they are caring for normally. they are there to make sales for the store and keep up the store maintenence. feel free to correct me if im wrong on that but they are a chain store.
at my store we only hire people who know fish...i have interveiwed a couple people personally who are complete idiots and we dont hire them.

so my point is its not all stores and i take pride in sayin my store is knowledgable about every aspect. even though higher priced we dont sell things not needed...cept one guy but he is the department manager and still knows lots.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
and ghost shrimp at our store are 25C i think...or 30.

most of our other prices though are way overpriced. we got in one of those ano(somethings) those big giant fish in SA that are like 12ft long and prehistoric...it got beat up to death though. really nice looking...was priced at 300$