Live rock Question

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
What all comes on a live rock? do liek clams and other things come on it does coral come on it it jsut take awhile to grow or do i need to buy all that stuff seperatly

First of all, you doont NEED corals and stuff, thye are just nice to have. Live rock (LR) are pieces of rock from the ocean that have millions fo little organisms on them. such as bacteria, plankton, and other stuff. Its main purpose is for biological filtration, but it also llooks really nice in your aquarium. It runs about 5 bukcs a pound here in california.

If you really want corals, you can buy them and then add them to your LR,. Ofter times they grow on the LR all by themsleves (with good lighting tho), but dont count on it. But yeah, like i said, there are all kinds of different corals/anenomies to choose from, just do a lot of looking, and just like fish-dont overstock them! but do you have aim?

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
well i bought four pounds of fiji live rock fo rmy tank and i think i see small clam on one piece and on the surface of one piece i saw wha tlooked to be a shell the size of a half of a dime but now it is gone...what animal could this be? and it was only 6 bucks a pound.....is that good?

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
Ya I've been cycling fo rthree days now, but my live rock appears to be doign nothing, as far as growth an di haven't seen any critters around, I have a few questions is it bad my substrate is crushed coral? and secondly what can i grow with a 15 watt 50/50 bulb on my 5.5 gal tank?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Its not bad that you have crushed coral...most people prefer to have live sand. With about 3 watts per gallon you could keep mushrooms, zoo rocks, most leathers, and some LPS corals.

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
thank you very much! well how long abouts i know everyones is different but about how long will it take to see critters or anythign else fo rthat matter on my LR. Secondly will it be bad if i add more rock tommorow of a diff kind or maybe same kind which is better and what will be the reaction?