Live Rock Problem

Jun 17, 2009
Singapore
Hi,i am new to nano reefing and i happened to see alot of worms coming out of my life rock. I was wondering if this is normal or something is wrong because there is alot of them in my tank right now. Oh ya, if i later on get fishes, will the fishes eat the worms??? Can someone please help me???

Last edited:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Its normal to have hitchhikers on the live rock and for them to appear once you add it in your tank. I'm not sure if there are any harmful types though. There is a thread in the saltwater forum that helps you identify hitchhikers though.

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode IslANd
there probablly bristle worms. very common hitchhikers. the verdict that i see is 50 50 on these guys. some people say they hate em some dont mind em. 90% of saltwater tanks prob have them, IMO i think that if there small there not a problem. once they get larger and reproduce(which they can do rapidly) then you might have a problem. i hear 6 line wrasses get rid of them, however i dont know if you want one in your nano. I was getting over run with them in my 20 gallon nano. however i inherited a coral banded shrimp. and im 90% sure hes eating them all. I saw at least 20 several months ago, now i see one or two.