live rock necessary?

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
Is live rock absolutely necesssary? Will live sand be enough if I add a couple of pounds of live rock once a month due to lack of money? Maybe about 25 lbs of live sand for my 20 gallon?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
well, I personally believe live rock is necessary to a healthy tank. I don't believe live sand will be enough. Personally I would save up for a while and buy all the live rock at once. If you get a little at a time you have the risk of getting some uncured stuff that will mess with your tank.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
that should be alright, the thing with buying it all once is that you dont run the risk of restarting the cycle by buying an uncycled peice. But you should be alright, no garantee's.

FYI if you dont quite understand the rock and cycle process, the peices of rock that you dont want, or the "uncured" peices are rocks that have been allowed NO time to overcome the die off that would have occured during shipping, moving, etc. Therefore starting your tank cycle over.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you don't really need live sand so you can save money there...as far as the live rock, if you are patient and dont add any animals until you have all the rock you can take as much time as you want...10# now and 10# next month isn't too bad a wait

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
Is this a good price? my LFS sells it at 5.99 or 6.99 a lb so it would be cheaper to buy it off this site for a 25lb bag and free shipping
http://www.aquacon.com/liverock2.html
FIJI ULTRA PREMIUM LIVE ROCK
Should I get samll pieces for my 20 gallon?
Or is there a better kind oyu see? Sorry I don't know much about the different kinds of live rock.
If I get 1 piece of coral how long should I wait to put that in the tank?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
That sounds safe, and another thing to keep in mind is to maybe just buy 15 pounds. Because i don't know if you want to add corals or not, but if you do they'll most likely be attached to live rock. And unless you've got tons of room to spare (which you probably wont in a 20 gallon) then you should leave a little room to play around with.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
zoanthids and mushrooms as well as most leathers are good starter corals...if it were me I would start with some mushrooms...and as far as how long to wait you will need to wait at least until your nitrates = 0 and then give it a minimum of a couple more weeks just to make sure they aren't going to fluctuate...a better plan would be a month+

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
same thing as a FW, you have to wair until nitrates hit 0 and you are sure the tank is stable. the general plan i use for stocking a reef tank is: live rock, nitrates 0 + 2 weeks, cleanup crew, nitrates 0 + 2 weeks, 1st fish, nitrates 0 + 1 month, corals and additional fish (at a rate of 1 per month). the idea is to make sure the system really is stable before you bring in any coral...its a slow process

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
What cleanup crew should I get? What clean up crew? Which kind of snails and lobsters and how many? Don't worry I have wanted a saltwater system my whole life. I think I can wait a couple of months.

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets see...i wouldnt get sand form jome depot because it might contain high silicates and phosphates. There should be some regular reef sand at the LFS for a reasonable price.

For a clean up crew, I would say about 10 blue legged hermits, 5 astrea snails, a few turbo snails, some nassaria snails, a emerald crab, and a brittle star or two.