little mind experiment

Diagvro

New Fish
Sep 9, 2009
heyy i really like dwarf gouramis and ive started breading them a while ago

Lately ive been thinking of introducing them into my friend's lake full of vegetation

i live in canada, Quebec, Montreal.

i know its almost impossible for them to survive the winter because temperatures may fall until -40 with the wind factor (outside)

ive been thinking if i manage to do some natural selection experiment, starting with normal gouramis and with each generation lowering the temperature, as the other gouramis die some of them survive and they will reproduce reinforcing their cold resistence... im looking for your oppinion as this topic may help u if u wanna do the same but with other specie of fish

please comment, critic, follow, share this post, i need lots of help as i may probably manage to create a new breed of gouramis capable of living in cold coditions

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I think it's illegal to do introduce new species into lakes in Canada. It would be very interesting to find that out, though!!
I've always wondered if you took a SW fish and very gradually lower the salt level down, would it be able to live in fresh water?
Anyways, if you do your experiment, good luck!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Do NOT introduce foreign species into a new ecosystem. History is full of people trying to do what you're talking about with disastrous results.

Natural selection works over hundreds and hundreds of generations, not within your lifetime. Further, you could face legal issues if anyone finds out that you have been releasing fish from the pet trade into local waters.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
not a good idea. many BAD species have been created because of changing where an animal lives. there are tons of stories of species getting put somewhere where they are not supposed to and you end up having put your environment in serious condition and a possible epidemic.

maybe you need to watch a couple shows of what people introduced animals to their not common area of living and see how disasterous that ends up turning out. results are not pretty