Lights for Plants - Major Confusion, Pleez Help!

surfergal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
:eek: Hi all. New to the forum and fairly new to the hobby and need some guidance. THE subject in aquarium plant success, it seems, is lighting. I'm hopelessly confused! I have a 4 foot, 55 gal tank with two fitted hoods - each has a 15W 18" fluorescent tube (all this came in a kit). This is fine for seeing fish but.....I also want to grow great plants. From what I read, this is definitely not enough light. But the quandary is - how do you get more fluorescent light tubes in that little space above the glass? I'm pretty sure I want to stick with fluorescents but wish to increase the wattage and get the right spectrum because they're more economical. I know NOTHING about DIY electrical stuff and am very reluctant about electrical stuff being near that much water. This means I understand none of the instructions given for wiring ballasts to make your own hood and wouldn't know where to find such a thing. (I did look at the one home improvement center that we have and there didn't look like too much to choose from.)

As an alternative I'm thinking about suspending shop lights from the ceiling and either making or having made some sort of glass or plexi-glass cover for the top of the tank (because I don't want my fish to end up jumping out of the tank and becoming kitty treats! LOL) with a cutout portion for the power filter and heater hanging on the back of the tank. Of course this would mean I'll lose the use of my existing hoods and I'm not sure hubby's going to like that too much as shop lights don't have the most decorative appeal and he would have to move his one trophy deer that I let him hang in my den. Does anyone have any advice here or suggestions? I've read so much information on this stuff that my head is spinning! All I want are plants that flourish so my fishies are happy and my tank looks nice -- at a price that is economical.

Thanks,

surfergal

Johnny

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.myfishtank.net
Re: Lights for Plants - Major Confusion, Pleez Hel

Here is another one!  *twirlysmiley*

Take it from here...

http://www.myfishtank.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=aquaticplants&action=display&num=1015863078