Lighting

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
i want corals for my tank...its 5.5 gallons an di currently have a 50/50 bulb in my hood...and i lost my wattage but i think its about15 watts so how do i up the wattage its a screw in bulb and i need help

Feb 1, 2005
I hope you don't mind my jumping in here...

I have been lurking around for a few days now, and have been inspired to set up my own nano. I have some experience with fish,as I am a manager in a petstore. But unfortunately my expertise is limites to reptiles and other creatures. But Im trying to learn!

SO i have started setting up my 3 gallon nano tonight with crushed coral substrate and water from the tanks in the store which is already established. I was not too pleased with the liverock we have at the moment, so I will hit up some SW hotspots this weekend for some decent pieces. In this tank I plan on maybe housing a percula, firefish or some small goby (neon?) in addition to the clean up crew. I am none too worried about coral, but the lighting question is making me nuts. This is a little tank with a screw in bulb. Id like to have some decent inhabitants in the future so what should I look for in bulbs? The one in there now is bland and bright white- i know there are special lights. Insight?

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
And stick to a small goby - firefish do not qualify - they swim around too much. It would be cruel to stick one in a 3g tank.

Clown gobies, redheaded gobies, and catalinas (realize they're cool water) are the generally accepted "Fish" for tanks of that size.

Shipley: Coralife makes a 20w 50/50 screw in (make sure you get the 20w not the 10), or they also make a dual 13w fixture that should fit the 5.5s

Andy

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
OMG thank you soo much i found it online I'm gonna order it as soon as funds allow! Thank you from the bottom of my heart..... but my funds are pretty low and my 55gAL JUST DEVEOLPOPED ICH SO i'M STRUGGLING ALLOWING well thank you again

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
It depends on the intensity of the lighting. I dont believe you could over light a coral tank with regular output flourescent even if you had like 10 watts per gallon. With halides you have to watch out that you dont bleach your corals.

4 watts sounds fine for most corals, and clams.