lfs opinion

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Guys I had a local lfs tell me that to cycle I should use cycle.I know from reading that this is bad advice. I told him I was doing a fishless cycle with amonia and he said that amonia was bad for fish(duh). Should I take this as a hint that this is not the store I should use?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
well..it would be a lfs were i would be wary of their advice. but if they have good looking fish and cheap prices...why not? just be careful of what they tell you. and you can always ask questions here.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Is the man just and employee or the owner?? I would always ask a question here that your unsure about as it looks like your getting bad advice already. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
When i worked at a fish store i had some coworkers like that they didn't even understand the cycling thing they thought the earlier you got the fish in the tank the better >:( thats why i tried to work alot

R

ronrca

Some lfs dont know about the fishless cycle. My lfs asked me where I learned about it. He said not many people know about it. If you add cycle bacteria in too soon, it will not help. Wait for about a week, then add it. The bacteria will have lots of food (Ammonia) and grow like crazy.

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 I find that they give you advice in order to make you want to buy stuff. as a beginner i was sucked into that alot, but now i just make them feel stupid by telling them nitrifying bacteria can not live in an environment without flowing water for moree than a couple hours let alone in a bottle on a shelf for 6 months. it doesn't work, but that doesn't mean you can't shop there. just ask us for all the advice and ignore his, because we won't try to sell you snake oils.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Some people at other LFS stores here are so stupid like what a filter  :-/ what does that do . I think that the petstores should give the people a test before just hiring the most likely idiot employees. ;D

tintin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
of course ammonia is bad for fish..... :eek:
this guy from the store is really learning...bofff

the use of cycle may help......and as ronrca said
if you wait 1 or 1.5 week you can make them crazy :eek:

i used that once and was fine.....

tip: if you wanna test the guy, ask him about the behavior
of some pair of species that you may know and check...

just  buy him fishes if they look good and cheap....